Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Tomatoes - so much choice

3012paul
Just Starting Out

Tomatoes - so much choice

There is so many different tomatoes to choose from - what do you rate the best for salads ??:bigsmile:

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Tomatoes - so much choice

How are everyone's tomatoes growing?

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

My tomatoes are going great guns @Jason. I usually plant all my vegies from seed but this year I cheated just a tiny bit and bought 3 tomato seedlings which helped me get a head start. The ones I bought were Apollo, Mighty Red and Grosse Lisse which are pictured in the tomato cages but I also sowed Roma and yellow pear as well as a "mystery" cherry tomato which our son saved seeds from some store bought tomatoes. We call those ones "surprise" tomatoes. :grin:

Now that the danger of frosts is over I have removed the plastic tree guards and surrounded them with a 4-sided tomato cage.

I also have some Grosse Lisse and Siberian tomatoes which are in "air pruning" pots which will be planted out this week. These pots help develop strong root growth and prevents root circling.

Apollo, Mighty Red & Grosse Lisse Tomatoes

Siberian Tomatoes Siberian Tomatoes

Grosse Lisse Tomatoes Grosse Lisse

Air pruning pots Air pruning pots

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

As always, your post is enlightening, & fun. :bigsmile:

I'm dead keen to hear how your son's mystery seeds go, the ones that he rescued from store bought tomatoes. I'm not sure of where I heard it, but there's a suggestion that they're genetically modified, & can't be resown. :puzzled:

I will keep you updated on the progress of the "mystery" tomatoes @Andy_Mann. I am also curious as to what they are and if they do fruit, what they taste like. Our son said that the reason that he saved the seeds was because his wife LOVED them. I had to laugh though - he brought them to me and asked ME to grow them............

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

They look really healthy. Well done @Annette. Looking forward to seeing your harvest.

Jason

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Great to see so many Workshop members who plan on growing tomatoes this year. Our latest poll suggests over 70 percent of community members will be planting tomatoes this Spring.

Thanks to all members who voted in the poll.

Please keep the tips and questions coming.

Jason 

TomatoPoll.png

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects