Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Tree planting advice

afisher95
Getting Established

Tree planting advice

Hey guys. 

Looking for some advice. I have recently purchased a place, and the outdoor area has a lot of potential, but needs quite a lot of work. I have very little experience when it comes to anything DIY, but hoping to learn.

The corner of my place currently has a few trees in it. I want to remove everything, and plant a few fruit trees instead. 

The garden doesnt look like it has ever really been maintained, I dont really know where to begin.

20200102_083713.jpg

20200102_083717.jpg

20200102_083724.jpg

Adam_W
Workshop Legend

Re: Tree planting advice

Hi @afisher95 & welcome.
First thing you'll need to do is get it all clear & hate to say... that will include stumps & big roots. Bit of hard-yakka but not too bad if you take it easy.
This little video I made a while back may be useful for planting tips once it's all clear.

afisher95
Getting Established

@Adam_W Really appreciate the reply! Video is easy to understand too. Now to start the hard work!

Thanks!

No worries at all. Glad it was helpful.
And just a thought... as it looks like you're in your front yard before you start getting into removal, which will likely involve some heavy spade and fencing bar work, maybe just do a quick check of Dial Before You Dig to make sure there's no pipes etc. below. The results you'll get aren't always 100% accurate but at least give you an idea.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

We are looking forward to seeing you transform your garden @afisher95. If you take a look at our Top 10 most popular garden makeovers as well as other projects on the site, I'm sure you will get plenty of inspiration and motivation for doing the hard yakka.   

Great to see you get some expert assistance from Adam. Please let us know if you need a hand with anything. We have clever and creative members sharing helpful advice and inspiration on the site every day. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
afisher95
Getting Established

@Adam_W will definitely do that! Dont want to do any damage.

afisher95
Getting Established

@Jason thanks for the link! Great to see the work that has gone in to them. 

afisher95
Getting Established

20200111_132959.jpg

Managed to dig up the first root! Although I still have 6 to go, and this was one of the easier! 

Any advice on this? The soil around is quite hard as it's been very hot with no rain. Is it better to wait for winter?

Is it better to chop down as much as possible and then poison the stump?

****UPDATE****

decided to let the hose run around the stump for a bit, this really loosened up the soil. 

Whilst a lot of people might have known to do this, hopefully it might help someone in the future!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects