Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What potting mix to use when transferring maple to a pot?

julzcroz21
Just Starting Out

What potting mix to use when transferring maple to a pot?

Doing a knock down rebuild and would love to keep a Japanese maple in our garden that is in the way of construction.

Looking to transfer it to a large pot or bulker bag for the 12 month constuction period until it is safe to locate it in it's new position.

Trunk is 100mm in width

Height and Width 1800mm (to very edge of foliage), would be less with pruning.

What potting mix would be suitable?  ?Permalite  ?organise compost ?potting mix for natives

Lots of recommendations on different websites.

Any assistance much appreciatedIMG_6839.jpgIMG_6292.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What potting mix to use when transferring maple to a pot?

Hello @julzcroz21

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you so much for joining us and sharing your question about what potting mix to use when transplanting a Maple tree to a pot.

Moving an established tree from one spot to another is a very stressful event for the tree. If not done properly the tree will suffer from root shock and die. Let me propose a few figures for you a Maple tree at approximately 2 meters tall will have on average a root system 3.5 to 4 meters wide and 1 meter deep. Because the root system is so big, you will not be able to move this without heavy motorized equipment.

The age of the tree is also a factor, the older the tree is the deeper the main roots will be. These deep roots are actually the ones that provide nutrients to the tree, most of the surface roots are to keep the structure of the tree. I recommend looking for a new transplant spot for the tree rather than putting it into a pot. Moving the tree once will lessen the stress and shock on the tree. 

However, if circumstances dictate that it has to go into a pot, I suggest using the soil that is already around the base of the tree to fill in its temporary home. I recommend mixing in a few bags of Scotts Osmocote 50L Premium Potting Mix to provide nitrogen for the roots. Make sure that water drainage is adequate and that the soil is not waterlogged.

Let me tag our experienced members @Adam_W and @Noelle for their recommendations.

If you need further advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @julzcroz21 

Inevitably when trying to lift a tree of that size, roots will be lost. The ideal time for relocation is winter, when it is dormant and devoid of foliage. Doing a job this major during the growing season is going to put the tree through enormous stress.

Saying all of that, it is probably worth a go as it appears you will lose it anyway if you don't make an attempt to lift it.

A bulker bag may be the way to go if you have the capability to lift the tree into one. The other option, and my personal preference, is a large sheet of hessian or shade cloth that you can sit the root mass on to and then gather it up around the roots securely and tie it off around the trunk.

You will need to take as much of the root ball intact as you possibly can. Start by working your way around the root mass directly below the outer limit of the foliage canopy (the dripline) with a sharp spade, cutting into the soil to at least 300mm and slicing through any roots you encounter. Then leave the tree for a few weeks so it will hopefully develop new feeder roots within the perimeter you have cut.

When it comes to the actual lift, remove the soil around the outside of the cut you made earlier to leave the root ball intact but sitting in an open saucer. Then carefully and gradually work your way under the root ball so eventually you have the tree and its roots sitting free.

At that stage you may need the help of several people to tilt and lift it so you can securely wrap it as outlined above.

Provided the root mass is kept moist (not soaking wet) and the tree is in a protected spot where the roots are well shaded, you should be able to keep the tree in reasonable condition through summer and autumn so it can be replanted into its new spot next winter while dormant.

To compensate for the loss of roots, which can't be avoided when moving a tree as large as this, some pruning of the branches will be required now, and perhaps again next winter when it goes into its new home.

As I said, you have nothing to lose since the maple is doomed in its present spot. Its future isn't guaranteed either but if you want to put in the hard work involved, lifting it and attempting to save may be worth the effort. However, this needs to be weighed up against the cost of a replacement maple - it may be cheaper and less effort long term to simply buy a semi mature one when your new garden is being planted up.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Just wanted to add my recommendation to give it a go @julzcroz21 and do everything you can to save your beautiful tree. We did a major backyard transformation five years ago where we installed a pool and levelled the backyard, and managed to relocate and save two special trees with some planning and TLC. Great to see you get such expert advice. Please let us know if you need any further assistance.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects