Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What should I plant next to the pool?

adamlin
Cultivating a Following

What should I plant next to the pool?

Happy Spring Fellows!

Can someone please share some ideas about what would be the best & easy maintain plants to fill up the gap on the garden bed next to the pool?

Really appreciated 

IMG_5876.jpegIMG_5877.jpegIMG_5878.jpegIMG_5879.jpegIMG_5880.jpegIMG_5881.jpegIMG_5882.jpeg

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: What should I plant next to the pool?

A warm spring hello, @adamlin.

Thank you for your question. Let me tag our helpful garden experts @Noelle and @mich1972 for their suggestions on some low-maintenance plants that you can plant next to your pool. 

While waiting, I suggest reading our Best Advice article What plants are suitable for around a pool? for some great options. You might also want to check out Claire (@Renowayoflife)'s pool area makeover for inspiration. She opted to plant Heliconia Rauliniana and Cordylines while creating a low-maintenance garden next to her pool. 

Looking forward to seeing updates as your project progresses.

Akanksha 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @adamlin 

If you are referring to the border between the existing hedge and the timber retaining wall, then you could plant any of the low growing hedges like Japanese or English Box, low flowering shrubs like hebes, azaleas (kurume types especially), Callistemon Little John, mauve or white Cuphea - there is a very long list! Depends on your location and climate of course, as some need more warmth than others.

Because the bed is a reasonable distance away from the pool and protected by the retaining wall, splashing with salty or chlorinated water from the pool should not be a major problem.

adamlin
Cultivating a Following

Thanks Noelle for the helpful tips!

Will go through the list one by one to have a better idea as I am not really good at gardening. As long as they are easy to look after/maintain and fill up the space in the between and match up with surroundings, that would be good enough to me.

BTW, I am from Sydney

Thank you

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Keep us updated on your project, @adamlin, and please reach out again if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects