Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What to plant on the south side of a fence in Adelaide?

erikc
Growing in Experience

What to plant on the south side of a fence in Adelaide?

frontgardentree-myrtle.jpgI have a street facing quarter-circle garden bed, the fence is about 1.7-1.8m high to the north, to the left in the picture (so the bed is to the south). The lawn is not quite a N-S axis, it gets slightly more east/morning sun. Under the built up bed is badly-draining clay, and maybe an NBN pipe. The tree is a Crepe Myrtle Sioux. I was wondering what I can plant here around the myrtle. I thought mini roses around the curve (the midday sunny side) and jasmine or clematis against the fence or perhaps two small columnar camellias (one on either side of the myrtle) as some of them can handle some shade. 

Along the ground: shady, I was thinking Plectranthus or Swedish ivy or sweet box ( have a dog so azaleas etc are out).

During the day at the moment, at midday, the sun hits the ground about 1.2m from the fence to the left. The myrtle is planted 1.1 from left fence and 1.2 back from the street fence (as there was a multi-trunked large golden rain tree pulled out with rotting roots I was limited where I could plant this).

The street-length internally is about 2.5m; along the fence is 2.3m. I can also build up the garden bed another 100-120 mm if required. 

Orig had a chilean guava the dog destroyed. Would like to plant small blueberries (or midyim or a small guava?) or similar fruiting small hedge at front as it gets a lot of sun. I have limited sun at the back for my berries and fruit trees. Could also put dwarf fruit trees in pots I suppose (the blood orange in picture is just there temporarily).

image.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What to plant on the south side of a fence in Adelaide?

Hi @erikc,

It seems you've already got some great ideas for your garden space. Mini roses around the curve and jasmine or clematis against the fence sound like lovely choices. For the shady ground, Plectranthus or Swedish ivy could work well. Your plan for small blueberries or a fruiting hedge in the sunny front area sounds delightful, too. Keeping it simple and considering the space constraints is a smart approach to ensure your garden thrives without feeling overcrowded. 

In addition to what you've suggested, you might also consider incorporating some evergreen shrubs like dwarf boxwood for structure and year-round interest. These would complement the mini roses and provide some greenery during the winter months. Another option could be to include some ornamental grasses like Lomandra or Dianella for texture and movement, especially in areas with dappled sunlight. These could add a dynamic element to your garden bed without overwhelming the space. Overall, balancing your existing ideas with a few additional elements would create a diverse and visually appealing garden.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @erikc,

I trust you found Mitch's reply helpful.

Let me tag a few other experienced gardeners for their thoughts: @mich1972@Noelle@Adam_W and @Grub80.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @erikc 

Considering the size of the quarter circle bed, you have listed a huge number of options to plant there! It isn't very big and the crepe myrtle will grow and cast dappled shade over the bed for several months of the year. I'd keep it simple - an edging of dwarf box clipped to a height of around 300mm, with three or four shrubs that will tolerate light shade, a few mini roses and some clumping grasses and the space will be quite full!

Perhaps you might consider blueberries and guavas in large tubs further along the fence, rather than in the garden. That way you will be able to position them exactly where they will do best, and also not overcrowd your garden bed.

erikc
Growing in Experience

thank you I found a Chilean guava I can trim and a small midyim bush, that will do for the front and I might just have small roses for the curve. I agree overcrowding is not a good idea. I was also advised blueberries won't handle midsummer afternoon sun. The guava should do.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects