Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What tree is this?

DianaDodd
Getting Established

What tree is this?

20230425_082558.jpg

20230425_082609.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: What tree is this?

Hi @DianaDodd,

Could we please trouble you for some more photos? A closer shot of one of the leaves might assist. At first glance it looks like a grafted citrus tree to me - most likely a lemon or a lime. 

What is the history of the plant? Have you ever seen flowers or fruit on it?

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
DianaDodd
Getting Established

16824605164418602971192405640566.jpg

16824605495494066262874643834782.jpg

 haven't seen any flower or fruit. We are renting any only moved in a few months ago. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @DianaDodd 

Thank you for posting that second picture of the plant. Looking at the shape of the leaf and the pattern on its surface, it could either be a lemon or citrus tree. 

Have you put in any type of fertilizer on the plant? How often do you water it? I only ask because it looks like the leaves are curling and you might have an insect infestation.

Let me call on our experienced members @Noelle and @Adam_W for their opinion.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
DianaDodd
Getting Established

Thank you so much, it was looking really run down when we moved in. We haven't put any fertilizer on it yet. Just watering every second day. Would love some more help on how to bring it back and what insect infestation it might have. Thank you for all your help.

Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @DianaDodd 

I'd start by lifting those pavers or bricks from around and over the tree's root system. Tree roots need aeration as well as moisture and both will be minimal with the amount of coverage (and soil compaction) immediately over the roots.

Don't dig the soil over the roots as citrus (which the leaf indicates the tree may be) have shallow fibrous roots that dislike disturbance. However, you can lightly rake the top few centimetres of soil to loosen it and improve moisture penetration. Once that's done a layer of compost or organic mulch (sugarcane or similar) would be beneficial.

Fertilising now, depending on where you live, is not the best option coming into the cooler months of the year.  A seaweed plant tonic like Seasol may be beneficial but hold off on the citrus food until late winter/early spring.

The leaves don't appear to be curling due to insect or disease attack - my opinion is the tree is suffering from its current growing conditions. Get rid of the pavers and it should show improvement.

DianaDodd
Getting Established

Thank you so very much. Will definitely do that.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects