Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Will cut lilly pilly lower branches grow back?

ameliahollis89
Finding My Feet

Will cut lilly pilly lower branches grow back?

  Hi 

I have many Lilly pillies in my backyard and my friend who did our garden cut all the lower branches off exposing the Lilly pillys trunks. I am so upset as I didn’t want them to do this and i desperately want them to grow back. They are weeping Lilly pillies and I wanted to know will the lower branches sprout new growth or has my friend completely stuffed my Lilly pillies? I know the upper branches will sprout new growth and eventually weep over the gap on the lower part I just hate the way they look. I am desperate for any advice thank you.

image.jpg

image.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: lilly pilly lower branches need growth

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @ameliahollis89. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about Lilly pilly's.

Unfortunately, the plant will not expend energy to create new growth in overshadowed areas. So, the chances of new buds on the old wood are likely not great. Even a hard prune of the top growth won't force buds down low.

If it's any consolation, they look perfectly fine to me as the lower growth often dies off naturally and looks scraggly as the plant grows. Perhaps you could consider planting other lower-growing plants to fill the areas.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you so much. Is there fertiliser like sea sol or anything like that I could use to make it grow back underneath? I’m just holding onto the hope that because it is a weeping Lilly pilly the mix branches will weep and fill on the gap. My friend who did this cut them all for the purpose of easy access to put mulch down so upset by this as he has changed the look of all my Lilly pillows which there is about 30 of them. Any advice is welcomed thank you so much

Hi @ameliahollis89,

You can certainly apply Seasol to the plants, but in all honesty, I do not believe there is anything you could do to specifically help them put on new growth down low. I'm so sorry but it's just not how plants grow, unfortunately.

Let me mention our resident horticulturalist, @Noelle, to see if she has any thoughts.

Mitchell

Hi @ameliahollis89 

Not good news, I'm afraid.  @MitchellMc is right in that there is nothing you can do to get the lilly pillies to regrow new branches down low on the trunks. Like him, I think they look fine! Quite possibly the low branches would have died back as the trees grow anyway. You could put in low hedging shrubs in front of them if the bare trunks bother you that much.

Thank you so much Mitchell for your message and for getting back to me. Hopefully the middle branches will extend out and thicken up. Thank you again you have been wonderful.

Thank you Noelle hopefully the middle branches grow out and weep down I just really liked the hedge look and just a bit shocked at how they look now but thank you for your message and getting back to me.

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Will cut lilly pilly lower branches grow back?

Hello @ameliahollis89,

Let me also extend a warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community! 

Great to read you've received advice from our knowledgeable experts on your lilly pilly. I just wanted to drop a quick note to share that Noelle has also written an excellent guide How to diagnose and revive a sick lilly pilly that would be good to keep handy as you continue caring for your plant. You might also like to check out the Bunnings guide How to maintain healthy lilly pillies in case it helps. 

We look forward to continue assisting you with your home improvement and garden projects. Don't hesitate to reach out anytime you have a question.

Akanksha

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects