Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Do I need to cover brick bore holes?

amySA
Cultivating a Following

Do I need to cover brick bore holes?

I have garden edging using old bricks and will soon be working on the center of the yard. Do I need to cover the bore holes of these bricks before filling up against them? 

When I heavily water the beds water does seep out of them. 

If so what should I be using? 

20240128_080659.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Do I need to cover brick bore holes?

Hi @amySA,

Will you be laying a lawn in front of the bricks? I'm not overly concerned that the holes will cause any issues, but you could fill them if you wanted to. If you are covering the holes with soil for a new lawn, you could place a small squirt of expanding foam in each hole. That's likely the easiest way to fill them. Alternatively, you could use mortar.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
amySA
Cultivating a Following

Thanks for your reply.

Some parts will be grass some will be decomp gravel 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Filling them is certainly an option, but I don't think it will cause significant issues if left as it is @amySA.

Mitchell

amySA
Cultivating a Following

I have gone ahead and tried both methods. Expanding foam looks a little unsightly however most of it will be covered.

The mortar on the other hand looks a little nicer although it is a mortar that contains lime. If continuing the mortar any idea if this will affect my soil or break down with constant moisture in the long run? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @amySA,

I can't imagine the lime in the mortar would have any significant effect on the surrounding soil. Typically mortar doesn't break down under wet conditions once it has cured.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects