Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Will my potatoes be OK to eat?

Smithrj
Building a Reputation

Will my potatoes be OK to eat?

Hi all, last year I planted some King Edward seed potatoes but when I harvested them they all had a brown ring rot, so had to discard them all. I now have some new plants that have spontaneously appeared, presumably from some of the previous tubers that I missed and didn't dig up. My question is should I leave them to mature and harvest, and if so will the tubers be OK to eat (assuming they don't get ring rot as well)? Thanks.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Potatoes

Hello @Smithrj,

Thank you for sharing your concern about ring rot on your potatoes.

Ring rot is a bacteria that infects potatoes and if planted near other tubers can cause the healthy ones to be infected with the same bacteria. To prevent further contamination of healthy tubers isolation and destruction of the infected potatoes are advised. Thorough cleaning and disinfection of garden tools and containers used are recommended to prevent further spread.

Contamination can even occur with discarding the peeled skin from an infected tomato and mixed in with your garden compost. To err on the side caution consumption of the infected potatoes is not advised. I suggest removing the leftover tubers before they mature.  

Let me call on our experienced gardening members @CathM, @Noelle, and @Adam_W for further advice.

Here is a handy fact sheet about Ring rot: Ring rot

If you need more information or assistance, please let us know. 

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Smithrj
Building a Reputation

Re: Potatoes

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the information. Looks like I'll be digging them all up just to be safe.

Rod.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects