Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

garden helper or hinderance ?

Trying
Making a Splash

garden helper or hinderance ?

About to start a new garden.Have turned over and broken up the soil then added compost.I remember @CathD's advice to 'feed your soil not your plants' so I'm wondering if this next idea would be good or bad. "  i.e. Mix 1 part sugar to 4 parts epsom salts -then place small amount in the hole with your plant."     Not sure if I would be feeding my soil or killing my plant.What do workshoppers think ? Cheers.                   

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

Re: garden helper or hinderance ?

@Trying, when you mentioned your recipe for growth promotion, it rang a bell. Sure enough, I'd received a newsletter in my In-Box, & saved it to my "Daily Dump" (things I catch up with later) bookmark folder.

http://www.hometalk.com/19479220/easy-homemade-plant-food-miracle-grow-?se=fol_new-20160809-1&date=2...

The author seems to be favouring it more for potted plants.

Here's a useful link which mentions Seasol, which would be good for new plantings:

http://us7.campaign-archive2.com/?u=1ed676a8646029b7cddcd164f&id=5e05181ec1&e=561dcd7a55

Thank you @Andy_Mann - great info and will follow advice. Cheers

CathD
Making a Splash

I think you mean @CathM. I haven't heard about the benefits of sugar and epsom salts - very unusual! What kind of plant are you planting @Trying?

Isobel
Amassing an Audience

I always use liquid seaweed when planting something new to give them a boost. 

My apologies @CathD- I did mean @CathM.The sugar/epsom salt mix advice was given to me by an old timer (his word not mine) at my local council community garden. I'm told it's good for all types of plants but I'm trying it with a bed of grasses and liriopes. If anyone is interested I'll happily give an update of what happens. Cheers

Hi @Isobel I'm wondering..... is the liquid seaweed you mentioned used as a soil improver and nutritional boost or more as a de-stressor because the plant is being 'transplanted.' Or am I just over analysing the whole process.? Cheers

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

@Trying, you have a local council community garden? I've seen them on TV, & I love the concept, I wish we had one here.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects