Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

how to install concrete sleeper with a fence?

Bliv
Cultivating a Following

how to install concrete sleeper with a fence?

my front yard is fairly level, but slopes down ~200mm right before it meets the footpath.

At some point i'd like to install a metal pole fence (the sort that comes in pre-fab sections. install a post and screw in the fence section)

I dont want the dirt just sloping away as it meets the fence as it'll be hard to mow and maintain.

I'd like to install a basic concrete sleeper edge/wall 200mm high, to hold back the dirt and allow me to square up the edge of the yard where it meets the fence.

How do i go about doing this? what actually holds the sleepers in place?

should the fence start above the sleepers, or do i just put the sleepers behind the fence and use the fence posts to support the sleepers?

example of sleepers
Outback Sleepers 2400 x 200 x 100mm Lonsdale HD Concrete Sleeper (bunnings.com.au)

example of the style of fence id like to use

c0a8059a-09fb-f2b4.jpg

Humdinger
Growing in Experience

Re: how to install concrete sleeper with a fence?

You will need to dig one end of the sleeper into the ground to keep the sleeper height level.

Sleeper retaining wall systems have 'C' channel posts that will fit their sleepers. Concrete the posts in at either side and slide the sleeper into the gap

Example https://www.bunnings.com.au/ridgi-50-x-50-x-3mm-x-0-65m-galvanised-steel-ender-post_p1080317 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Bliv,

It's great to see you've received a prompt and helpful reply from @Humdinger. I'd agree that the best solution is to use the steel ender post when beginning the run of sleepers. You'll also find Ridgi 50 x 50 x 3mm x 0.65m Galvanised Steel Joiner Post for continuing the run to the next sleeper. Concreting in these posts will ensure the retaining wall stays solid for many years to come.

Please let us know if you need further help or had questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

It's great to have you as part of the Bunnings Workshop community @Humdinger and many thanks for contributing to the discussion.

I trust our members will appreciate your knowledge as it sounds like you have plenty to share.

We look forward to hearing about the projects around your own house and garden, and we'd encourage you to let us know if you ever need assistance or had something to share. I'm sure you'll find loads of inspiration within the community as our wonderful members are sharing their projects here all the time.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects