Workshop
Ask a question

How to remove weed from lawn?

dogbural
Finding My Feet

How to remove weed from lawn?

Hi,

Lately i have seen this fast growing weed (grass?), growing in the lawn.

Please advise how i can kill them.

1000012707.jpg

1000012708.jpg

  

bergs
Making a Splash

Re: weed (?) on grass

Hi @dogbural  

That looks like Kikuyu grass. It can get very invasive if you don't keep on top of it. You can spray the edges with something like Slasher, which is eco friendly, or as I do, dig out the runners to control the spread from the lawn area. It is a tough grass that loves the warm summer weather and is great for areas with high activity on them.

Cheers bergs

Be happy and care for your tools
JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: weed (?) on grass

Hi @dogbural,

Thank you for your question. It is great to see you've already received some advice from @bergs, thank you for that.

I would agree that it is kikuyu grass and would also recommend the method they've given for removing it. 

There are stronger, non-selective chemical options such as Yates Zero Weed Killer Super Concentrate that can be applied directly to the leaves using Yates Zero Weeding Herbicide Applicator Brush, but they are hazardous, and all safety guidelines should be followed and all personal protective equipment worn if you were to use them. 

Manual removal using something like the Cyclone Stainless Steel Weeder will usually get you the best results.

Allow me to tag some of our garden gurus to see if they have any advice, @Noelle, @mich1972, @homeinmelbourne.

Please reach out if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects