Workshop
Ask a question

Ground cover suggestions

AndreaNg
Having an Impact

Ground cover suggestions

dirt.jpg

Hi everyone, 

I have a few relatively new garden beds and with so many windy days recently the top soil and mulch keeps on getting blown away.

Would love some suggestions on fast-growing and attractive ground cover please. 

CathD
Making a Splash

Re: Ground cover suggestions please

One of my favourites at the moment is "purple blob" sedum. 

blob.jpg

Would love to read of everyone's suggestions.
greygardener
Becoming a Leader

For hot areas of the garden, succulents are a good choice like the sedum mentioned above. There are plenty of low-growing varieties that look fantastic when paired with a few larger plants. Another really popular one is blue chalk sticks - senecio mandraliscae. Succulents also have the advantage of being able to be struck, so raid your friends and families' gardens.

A couple of other suggestions - Ajuga, also known as bugleweed, is from the mint family so is very easy to grow. And star jasmine is now being used as ground cover, not just as a climber. Mondo grass was also popular for a while but it's really my cup of tea. 

Thank you .. will do a google search on those you mentioned. I do love the star jasmine.
My night Jasmine tree is starting to flower and the perfume at night is so ... trying to find the right word. WONDERFUL. Sitting outside at night under the Australian stars smelling the fragrance .. HEAVEN!
Isobel
Amassing an Audience

There are lots of grevillea varieties that are excellent ground cover for keeping weeds at bay as well as keeping your soil intact. They can look beautiful, too.

Grevillea-Poorinda-Royal-Mantle-MS2.jpg

AndreaNg
Having an Impact

Thanks for the suggestions.

I ended up trying a few different options. So far thyme has been the fastest growing and looks lovely. Here's a photo:

groundcover.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi all,

This has been a popular topic with the Workshop community, so I thought I would add that there are some further suggestions from this article - 11 ground covers for your garden

There are also these Workshop discussions: 

Hope you find these resources useful.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects