Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to connect a benchtop dishwasher?

Emily88
Just Starting Out

How to connect a benchtop dishwasher?

I am trying to connect a water supply to a bench top dishwasher. This is a non-threaded tap which is why I had to buy this connector. 
When I turn it on to the side without a hose, the water flows perfectly without the connector coming off the tap. However, when I turn it on to the side with the hose attached, there is too much pressure, the water sprays everywhere, and the connector falls off the tap. I wonder if something in the hose is blocking the water from coming through.

When I look through the water supply hose, there is a filter that I think is causing little water to flow through and causing the buildup in pressure. Is there something I am suppose to be removing? How do I make this work without the connector coming off?

This is an old home where the water supply is behind the walls rather than under the sink, which is why I have to connect the water supply via the tap.

Any help is much appreciated!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to connect a benchtop dishwasher?

Good morning Emily. @Emily88 

I believe the filter in the hose isn't the problem - as you say, its that rubber connector and metal band on the old style tap. You simply can't tighten it (too tight and it will tear) enough to handle the water pressure.

Amateur suggestion - get a double tap installed? (I googled Double Tap - and most hits were Zombieland 😁)

Double TapDouble Tap

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to connect a benchtop dishwasher?

Hi @Emily88 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about connecting your benchtop dishwasher.

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Noyade

If you are in a rental property, I recommend speaking to the landlord about the possibility of upgrading the cold tap to something a little bit more modern such as the EnduraSeal 15mm Polished Chrome Male Dual Outlet Garden Tap. This will allow you to link up the cold line to your dishwasher and still allow you to use the tap for the laundry tub.

In the meantime, if you really need to run your dishwasher, I suggest having a look if your garden hose can run into your laundry area. I propose attaching a Pope 12mm 20mm Sprinkler Adaptor American Thread onto your dishwasher inlet hose and then attaching it to your garden hose. Please remember to test dishwasher once it's linked up to make sure that there are no leaks once its running.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects