Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to protect my coconut bowls and cutlery?

Georgia98
Finding My Feet

How to protect my coconut bowls and cutlery?

Hey brains trust! 

I recently purchased these bowls (one coconut bowl sold as a "ramen set" and one used for Kava) while travelling overseas. While i purchased them and was told they were able to have hot food in them, i want to make sure that what food i do put in doesn't stain the bowls or cutlery. 

What / how do I make them food safe and prevent stains? I'd like to purchase an oil/varnish/wooden safe food wax to seal the bowls and cutlery and prevent any hot food and sauces from staining them. 

I'm not fussed with it being a natural solution (i.e. beeswax) what i want for it to be as strong as possible and do the best job. 

What should i be using/buying to seal these lovely bowls and make them ready for me to use and eat from without fear :wink: 300995756_5492577054097629_6748723544676702562_n.jpg301126352_5492576430764358_4444717076773130284_n.jpg301117701_5492605437428124_2745517553809263427_n.jpg

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: I need help! Coconut Bowl Protecion

Oil-based polyurethane is fairly resistant to heat or Tung Oil.

I would lean towards the poly finish if your not intending to use a knife but you will need to wait for it to cure fully before use.

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to protect my coconut bowls and cutlery?

Hi @Georgia98,

First, let me welcome you to the Bunnings Workshop community! It is awesome that you have decided to join us and ask your coconutty question. You'll find Workshop to be a great source of inspiration and advice for all things DIY and garden. 

Coconut bowls are pretty temperature sensitive so I would suggest letting your hot food cool to room temp before placing it into the bowl. Avoid the dishwasher, microwave, or putting it in the fridge, freezer, or oven as these extreme temperatures may cause the bowls to crack. Care for it by washing it by hand in lukewarm water and giving them a good rub down with coconut oil. You can use mineral oil to help seal them as well.  They do tend to pick up stain over time but if you avoid foods that have dyes and artificial colouring it will help prevent them from discolouring. 

Let us know how you go and feel free to keep asking your great questions. 

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you so much! Should i seal it first and then apply coconut oil, or apply a mineral oil to seal it and then coconut oil every 10 uses or so

@KatieC 

Hi @Georgia98,

You can use food-grade mineral oil or coconut oil interchangeably. There's no need to use both, as they will perform the same function of sealing your bowl and utensils. You'll strip out a small amount of the oil every time you wash the items, especially if you use dishwashing detergent. It's likely best to give them a quick wipe over with the oil every time you wash them.

Mitchell

Perfect! In that case, do you think the mineral oil (I was specifically thinking of masterpro food grade revitalising mineral oil) would be more effective than coconut oil?

I understand the whole ‘natural angle! But quite frankly I just want something that does the job better

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

The MasterPro Food Grade Revitalising Mineral Oil is produced specifically for the purpose you're looking at, so it would be a good choice. Any food-safe oil will protect the items, but I'd suggest the mineral oil would be more effective.

Mitchell

Brilliant! Bought it today and can't wait to use it - but theres very limited instructions... How long should i wait for it to seal? Do i add a number of drops or a good amount to a piece of cloth and wipe it on from there?

Use it sparingly @Georgia98. With the first application, you'll be looking to coat the items thoroughly. It will be several drops for the bowl. Work it into the surface to make sure it has penetrated sufficiently. A wet look is an indicator and you'll notice the coconut gets darker as you apply the oil. When you wash the bowl after use, you might only need a couple of drops to give it a quick wipe over.

The seal should be immediate, and the items will be touch-dry and ready to use after you wipe them over.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects