Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace water filter?

poppylee198
Cultivating a Following

How to replace water filter?

CDCD84B5-D047-4073-8530-22890F59ED6C.jpeg

Looking to replace this installed water filter, what would be compatible and how to install it please :smile: 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: replacing water filter

Hi @poppylee198,

Do you happen to know what type of cartridges are in this filter? Commonly you have sediment, ceramic and activated carbon which takes care of dust, rust, silt, sediment, chlorine, bad taste and odours. But there are also other types. If you'd like recommendations on an equivalent unit, then knowing more about your current filter system would be helpful. 

When you say compatible unit, were there parts of this filter you wished to keep, or are you after replacing everything? Most filter systems will come with everything you need for installation, including the benchtop tap. Depending on what system you go for, they'll have slightly different installation instructions. If you were looking for a single-stage system that removes odour and taste, then the Stefani Undercounter Single Stage Filter could suit. 

If you are just replacing the cartridges in your filter, then you'd need to try to access them to see if they're something we could replace. Any clips, screws or obvious ways to open the unit?

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
poppylee198
Cultivating a Following

Thanks for your quick reply.

We are in a new house now and this was installed when we got here, we can see that it says it was installled in 2011 (the tap and everything is already connected). Because it is so old, we wondered if we should be replacing the whole filter or just the cartridge- I believe the current cartridge is a:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

  

Amway A101 Carbon block filter 

Thanks for those details, @poppylee198. I'd certainly encourage you to replace a system that old. We can see that the cartridge was replaced in 2011, so can presume the system is significantly older than that. Who knows what type of build-up is inside a unit that hasn't been maintained for that long.

The Stefani Undercounter Single Stage Filter offers the same level of filtration as your current unit. The installation instructions are on the Stefani website. You'll find replacement filters readily available in Bunnings stores.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects