Workshop
Ask a question

How to repair brick around duct?

JerryM
Just Starting Out

How to repair brick around duct?

Hi, recently a replacement rangehood was installed at my home and the installer cut holes through the double brick wall for the duct but left quite some damage to the internal and external brickwork and there is a hairline crack in the mortar above the hole. They didn't use a hole saw so they drilled multiple smaller holes and they used a broken brick some wood and Styrofoam to fill the hole for the previous rangehood pipe. This area is located in a roof cavity of a verandah. Is there potential for the damage to become worse? What sort of tradesperson would be best suited for the repairs?

Thanks

JerryM

IMG_20240501_125505.jpg

IMG_20240501_141734_edit_626295379172141.jpg

IMG_20240501_141650.jpg

  

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Repair brick around duct

Hi @JerryM 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about brick repairs.

I propose engaging the services of a handy person to fix the damage in your brick wall. I also suggest posting the job on Airtasker or Hipages and see what kind of quote you get for the repair. Just make sure to ask for references so that you can see their past work. 

If the hairline crack is on the mortar and not the brick it should be ok. However, I recommend having the brick work tidied up so that it prevents vermin from entering the wall.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects