Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What material is this kitchen benchtop and how to get it completely clean?

barydos
Having an Impact

What material is this kitchen benchtop and how to get it completely clean?

Hi all,

I have a kitchen benchtop I would like to replace later this year, but in the interim I would just like to get it in a clean enough state.

I've attached some photos below:

kitchen-benchtop.jpgkitchen-benchtop-2.jpgkitchen-benchtop-3.jpg

1. What material is this benchtop?

2. How do I best clean it? I've tried with Selley's sugar soap with both paper towels and microfibre cloth, but no matter what it doesn't feel smooth after. If I run my fingernail across the table, I can see a line run through which feels like it's still dirty. I have some Tricleanium powder I have yet to try, although I'm not sure what's a good ratio to use for this purpose.

Thanks in advance!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What material is this kitchen benchtop and how to get it completely clean?

Hi @barydos,

That's a laminate benchtop. I can see from the light refraction that the laminate has a fine texture to it. Given this, it's never going to be ultra-smooth, but I understand there could also be a build-up of grime that needs removing. 

You want to use non-abrasive cleaners on laminate to avoid scratching. I'd recommend you give the bench a good wipe down with a cloth and warm soapy water. Use dishwashing detergent for the soap, as it is excellent at breaking down fatty residues. I find Windex works well for removing stubborn grime and leaves a streak-free finish. Using these methods should remove any common build-ups on the benchtop and are the recommended cleaning techniques from our laminate benchtop suppliers. 

Tricleanium is a strongly alkaline product, and it should not be used on laminate as it can etch the surface.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: What material is this kitchen benchtop and how to get it completely clean?

Thanks so much for your advise @MitchellMc it was super informative!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects