Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Building a room on my decking what spacings would my stumps need to be?

geraldv
Just Starting Out

Building a room on my decking what spacings would my stumps need to be?

building a low level treated pine decking 8 mt x 4.8 mt , want to build a room on it what would my posts spacings need to be

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: building a room on my decking what spacings would my stumps need to be

Hello @geraldv 

Thanks for sharing your question about your decking and where to put the posts when building a room. I suggest engaging the services of an engineer or draughts person who can calculate the loads the posts will be carrying. The engineering plans they produce will guide you on materials and fixings to use.

Building a large structure such as a room over a standard decking frame will not be enough to hold the weight of the walls and the roof of the room. 

Before you begin, I suggest checking your local council's rules and regulations when adding a structure that is either independent or attached to the house. It's likely that permits will be required, and engineering plans will be needed for sign off.

The good news is that if your engineer is aware of local policy, they should be able to provide a plan that will pass council approval.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects