Workshop
Ask a question

How to fill gap between wardrobe and wall?

shumm
Growing in Experience

How to fill gap between wardrobe and wall?

IMG_5402.jpeg

IMG_5404.jpeg

Hi team, any advise on how to conceal this gap please? It’s wider (~2.5 cm) on top and tapers to around 1 cm at the bottom. Someone advised aluminium flashing. What does everyone think and how can I go about it? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Gap between ikea wardrobe and wall

Hi @shumm,

How do the doors operate, and when opened, is this gap encroached upon? If not, timber moulding could be used, but you'd need to taper it to suit it. The same deal would apply with the aluminium flashing.  

Is the wardrobe perfectly level? Could the left-hand side be raised slightly to at least even out the gap? If it could, that would make it much easier to fill the gap.

Let me mention @Nailbag and @Dave-1 for their thoughts.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How to fill gap between wardrobe and wall?

Morning @shumm 

Walls are never totaly vertical nor square 😕 

I would use a piece of trim and cut it to size to fit the gap. Once the shadow line is hidden the gap will blend in.

To insert the trim once you have cut it to size I would screw some small screws into the surface to allow the piece to be fitted in. Once in place screw through from the inside of the cupboard into the piece of timber., I would suggest to predrill with a smaller diameter drill and also countersinking the hole before the final facing screws are used. (you could add glue but may end up with a bunch of mess)

Dave

Nailbag
Making a Splash

Re: How to fill gap between wardrobe and wall?

Hi @shumm

@Dave-1  is spot in-line with what my plan of attack would be. When custom cabinets are built, they are always designed to either fit with a small gap either side or with a combination of a filler piece. This is to not only make installation easier, but to also allow for indiscrepancies within the cavities they are being installed in as Dave mentioned. Ideally you want to fill as much as the gap with a filler timber to within a few mm then use a gap filler. If you're handy with a planer (and have one of course) then 42mm x 19mm DAR pine buzzed down will give you plenty of edge to fix with screws from the inside of the cabinets. Otherwise something like 22.5mm x 22.5mm quad or a profile of your choice, then the small remaining gap could be finished off with a white paintable gap filler.

If using the DAR pine, countersinking the fixing screws will allow you to cover them with stick on kitchen caps. Fixing the quad will be a little trickier than the DAR pine. This could be easiest fixed with a good wood glue and taped in to position.

regards, Nailbag

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects