Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to paint premium dressed pine?

NellBell1
Just Starting Out

How to paint premium dressed pine?

Hello I bought some premium grade dressed pine planks to mount as shelves. I want to paint them and hope to make the finish as professional as possible. Any tips much appreciated for this newbie. Do I need to sand (I can borrow an orbital sander) and prime? Or just paint straight onto the boards? Thank you!

IMG_5185.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to paint premium dressed pine?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @nellieblundell. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about painting dressed Pine.

The finish on those boards is very smooth, and I wouldn't suggest sanding them at all. They are already finished to a level where further sanding would not significantly affect the overall appearance. If any spots feel rough to the touch, you might want to go over them lightly with some 240-grit sandpaper.

To coat them, apply one or two coats (if needed for full coverage) of primer and after it has dried your paint. For application, I recommend using a short nap roller such as the UNi-PRO 180mm Enamel Paint Roller Kit 5mm Nap. The short fibre length on this roller will give you a much better finish than one with 12mm.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects