Workshop
Ask a question

How to fill gaps in interior windows between glass and timber frame?

SamMac
Growing in Experience

How to fill gaps in interior windows between glass and timber frame?

Hi All,

On my interior windows there are gaps between the glass and the timber frame in various places where whatever was once in there has worn away / come loose making some gaps as shown in the pictures.  I am wondering what is the best way to go about filling/replacing these and with what product?

It has most likely just worn away due to time, and especially on the lower edges of the glass, and condensation in the winter. 

The gaps /loose bits are only in certain sections along each window edge, so I presume I just scrape out loose bits and re fill, but not sure what to fill it with, especially noting that this is indoors so don't want anything that will have too many fumes etc. before painting over, though the amounts used would only be small overall. 

I have some Selleys special linseed putty which I know is used on the exterior but not sure if that is  the best product or there is a better one? 

Any suggestions? Thanks.

IMG_20240428_144602921_HDR.jpgIMG_20240428_144800904_HDR.jpg 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fill gaps in interior windows between glass and timber frame?

Hi @SamMac,

Thank you for your question about the gaps and sealant around your windows.

As you've stated, you should start by removing all of the old sealant and loose materials, then give the area a good clean with hot soapy water and a brush.

Linseed putty can be used for this application, but it can be quite time consuming and difficult to work with if you've never used it before.

My preference for this application is a neutral cure silicone sealant such as SikaSeal Kitchen And Bathroom Silicone Sealant. Unfortunately, if you plan to paint over it, this is not a suitable solution. 

With this being said, I would suggest you apply Selleys White No More Gaps Bathroom And Kitchen Gap Filler around the perimeter using a suitable caulking gun. This product is water resistant, but is not truly waterproof, so you may find that you need to replace it in the future if the condensation is consistent.

You might like to check out How To Apply Bathroom Sealant for some guidance on how to get the best results when using gap fillers and sealants.

Let me know if you require further assistance.

Jacob

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @SamMac,

To clarify further, if you've been successfully using the Selleys Special Putty, you can continue to do so inside. SikaSeal Kitchen And Bathroom Silicone Sealant would be your next best option and it comes in white, so no need to paint it. Or, if you did want to paint over, I recommend using Selleys White No More Gaps Bathroom And Kitchen Gap Filler.

Let me know what you think.

Jacob

SamMac
Growing in Experience

Thanks @JacobZ for the various options. It's always a bit of a conundrum when multiple options can get same result! But Considering I already have the special putty I will give that a go first on a small section, cognizant of the fact it has a longer cure time, but if I have trouble will switch out to the Sika. 

Also would you recommend removing/replacing all the old sealant along the bottom or just the unsound sections (the tops and sides of the window/timber seem fine).

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @SamMac,

If you are confident that the rest of the old sealant is fine then there's no real need to remove it, you may just notice a slight variation between the new and the old.

Keep us updated if you require any further assistance.

Jacob

SamMac
Growing in Experience

Great Thanks again, will get to it over the next week or so and post updates in case it can help someone else with the same issue. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects