Workshop
Ask a question

How to build a horizontal screen?

rob074
Finding My Feet

How to build a horizontal screen?

I have a flat colourbond verandah and the two verandah posts on one side are 5.7 metres apart. The verandah sits on the fence line. I want to install a horizontal screen between the these two posts and for it to be attached to the verandah (on the inside of the posts). It will screen off from where the top of the fence line is to the top of the verandah. The screening will only be about 1.2 metres in height.

I intend to build a frame and attach it to each verandah post and to the top beam of the verandah. From there attach the screening to the frame so it sits flush with the verandah posts.

What size timber should be used for the framing….70x35 or can I use something smaller as the verandah posts are 65x65? 

I intend to use 70x22 decking for the screen and to have timber battens spaced every 900mm.  What type of screws should be used for screwing the timber into the steel verandah posts. 

Will the timber frame be strong enough to support the screening considering the bottom part of the frame will not be secured to anything ?
Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks.

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Advice for building a horizontal screen

Hi @rob074,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is great to have you with us.

Is it possible to upload some photos of the area you plan to build the screen? It's hard to offer tailored advice without seeing the area and being able to assess what you're proposing based on the area.

Once we can see the area, it will be easier for our members to offer more specific advice. Let me know if you need any assistance uploading images.

What I am picturing, is similar to the below valance that you often see on QLDer style homes but run horizontally.  

If this is the case, I would suggest that the 70x35 framing timber is a good option for your project, but this would rely entirely on the posts and structure of the verandah's ability to bear the additional load. If it's possible to add another post in the middle of the structure, that would be ideal as an unsupported 5.7 metre span is quite extreme. It is worth consulting with an engineer to assess whether the structure is capable of supporting the additional load prior to commencement. 

If you are happy to go ahead with the chosen design, you can use Zenith 10G x 50mm Galvanised Countersunk Head Metal Screws to attach your timber to the posts.

Allow me to tag some of our knowledgeable members for their thoughts, @Dave-1, @Nailbag, @TedBear.

You might also like to check out our Top 10 most popular screening projects and How to build timber screening for some inspiration and guidance.

Let me know if you need assistance uploading images or have any further questions.

Jacob

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @rob074 

Thats a fair span to have between the supporting posts. Any chance of a photo to show the area you want to screen? 

I wouldnt be hanging anything off that span due to it sagging and also the 65mm by 65mm posts are probarly not built to carry that added weight and pull (the screen will want to bend in the middle and therefore pull the post out of true verticle) If you put in some support posts then the option opens up again.

Will wait for some pics to see if other ideas come to mind.

Dave

IMG_0273.jpeg

IMG_0275.jpegIMG_0276.jpegIMG_0277.jpegIMG_0278.jpegIMG_0274.jpeg

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @rob074 

Thank you for the photos, they reaqlly help show the situation.

I would suggest not to attach anything to those posts as they are designed to carry the weight of the roof (you could contact the manufacturer / installer and ask) and probarly wouldnt carry the weight of anything else.

However you could use a workaround, You could install 4 new posts equally apart, then install horizontal slats to cover that gap between the top of the fence and roofline. You could go further down the posts depending on what look you are after. As the existing posts look pretty close to the fence itself you could use Pryda Post Anchor Full Stirrup 65 x 90mm M10 for the four posts.

Dave

Nailbag
Making a Splash

Hi @rob074 I'm with @Dave-1 comments and recommendations. Additional freestanding posts no more than 1800mm apart and create a privacy screen with 90mm or 140mm merbau decking boards fixed on your side

regards, Nailbag

Screenshot 2024-04-28 at 9.15.23 PM.png

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @rob074,

Having now seen the photos, I would agree with @Dave-1 and @Nailbag that it is not suitable to install a privacy screen attached to the verandah posts and the underside of the beam. 

A design like the one Nailbag has come up with would be perfect for this area. I'd suggest you can use Pryda Post Anchor Bolt Down w Washer 90mm M10 to attach 90 x 90mm 2.7m Post Pre-Oiled Merbau to the concrete, then attach SpecRite 90 x 19mm Merbau Pre-Oiled Decking to the posts as your horizontal members.

This will keep the design all uniform and give you the privacy you are looking to create.

Let me know what you think.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects