Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Building a cat tunnel

catstuff
Getting Established

Building a cat tunnel

Saxon 90 x 20 met project mesh I/N 0022275

Want to make a cat tunnel.
Is this suitable and is it easy to fold into three?
Best way to fold?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: cat tunnel

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @catstuff. It's fantastic to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

I believe you will find it relatively easy to fold into three if you take your time with it. I would advise using a flat piece of timber of straight edge to fold the mesh over creating the right-angled corners.

If you are intending on placing these tunnels on grass then I would suggest using weed mat pins to secure them to the ground. If you used the weed mat pins you could just create a semi-circle with the mesh instead of having to create corners.

We look forward to hearing more about and seeing the results of your cat tunnel product. 

Please let me know if you need further information or had questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: cat tunnel

Thank you. So you think this mesh will be strong enough? It’s going on the lawn.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Building a cat tunnel

Hi @catstuff,

I believe the mesh would be strong enough but I would encourage you to fix it down at regular intervals to prevent the cat escaping. I would suggest placing a weed mat pin every 30cm. For extra security you might like to upgrade to Whites 8 x 300mm High Strength Tent Pegs - 10 Pack.

Please let us know how you go.

Mitchell

F35C8C35-708E-4981-A309-C18D5646BCFE.jpeg

 we bought a small cage and made the tunnel adjoining. Tunnel is not fully linked yet.
It’s not the movable sections that we wanted! Those appear to be four sided tunnels because you need the section ends to be able to be joined - ie some sort of frame end.

Our big cat got a fright one day and busted out of the cage corner so been a bit edgy going in there now.

we are pretty disappointed.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @catstuff,

Many thanks for updating us on your cat tunnel project.

I am sorry to hear you are disappointed with the results. Is there anything you would like to change that our helpful members might be able to provide advice on?

Please let us know how we could assist further .

Mitchell

I still think the three sided tunnel is great so cats are on the grass. 
just need to work out a way to join sections that can be easily undone to move.

im a visual person and if we had seen one we would have found problems to anticipate! 
Will keep thinking!
Thanks for your help Mitchell

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@catstuff,

Can you butt the sections up against each other and use cable ties to join them? You should be able to snip them quite easily if you need to move the sections around. There are even releasable cable ties which you can undo.

Mitchell

We wanted to do that.

Even bought a supply of carabiners that I had seen used in an article to join sections.

we could probable turn back an edge to reinforce on the edges to be joined - try to make it straight and firm like an outside edge,

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects