Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can I use steel stirrups with steel posts for a deck?

JRS
Finding My Feet

Can I use steel stirrups with steel posts for a deck?

Hi, I'm having to make some repairs to the steel posts that my deck sit on.  They are rusting at the base.  I don't have photos yet and don't know yet if the posts (or the lower parts of them) need to be replaced or just treated and re-concreted.  One thing I was thinking of doing is - cutting the posts off above the rust, digging out the footing, installing new footing with a steel stirrup to attach to the post.  All my reading only shows stirrups being used on wood.  Thanks for any advice/info.  

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Can I use steel stirrups with steel posts for a deck?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, @JRS. It's great to have you join us. I trust that you'll get plenty of helpful D.I.Y. information, advice and inspiration from our wonderful members. 

I'm sure our resident D.I.Y. expert @EricL will be able to assist you with your query once he's back online later today. In the meantime, let me tag some of our members @Adam_W@Dave-1 and @hazzabatt to see if they have any thoughts. 

Akanksha 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good Morning @JRS 

Welcome to Bunnings community page. I was just looking at your question and thinking it through.

How heavy are the steel posts?

What type of roof will the stirrups support?

I have used 600mm stiurrup posts embedded into concrete for my timber deck (hardwood) and they have worked a dream.  I cant see an issue except weight wise to use a stirrup like you ask. Nothing I found  has said you shouldnt. I do know that steel to gal steel can have issues down the track but really not sure the level of corrosion. 

The hardest part I think would be digging out the old footing with any part of the post above it. That would be a pain as it is sure to get in the way. Is there any way to do one post at the time, support the roof at the top and take out the whole post? Hopefully you will get some photos soon :smile: 

Hopefully the rust at the base of the posts is repairable instead of removable :smile: Crossing fingers for you. 

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Hi, can I use steel stirrups with steel posts for a deck?

Hello @JRS 

Thanks for sharing your question about repairing the steel posts on your deck. One possible reason you're not seeing stirrups used on steel footings is because when the post is re-welded, the welder probably adds more steel so that it goes well into the footing cavity in the soil. The builder will then just need to re-concrete the footing and the repair is finished. 

It is probably possible to use a stirrup on the base to make replacement and repair easy. But one drawback that I foresee is that if the bottom of the post starts to rust it might infect the stirrup as well. This would in effect force you to remove the stirrup and re-weld a new post. 

In the interest of safety, I suggest engaging the services of a registered builder before repairing the post. It will be necessary to reinforce and support your deck while repairs are being carried out. I also propose getting a certified welder so that the job is certified with a warranty and receipt. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

JRS
Finding My Feet

Hello again, thought I'd ask the question of the stirrup makers (in this case Pryda) and below is their response -

In general, our post anchor range is not intended for supporting decks, stairs or footing type applications.

We note this in various parts of our Post Anchor Design Guide due to the fact that the post anchors are only intended to support direct gravity or uplift loads. i.e., loads acting directly up or down onto the anchor.

Structures like decks, stairs, footings, balustrades etc… can impact lateral loads onto the post anchor (i.e., side way loading) which may not be adequate depending on which post anchor is used.

We can certainly provide further guidance if you can send in some details or plans etc… but at this stage, based on your question I will have to say no.

Hope this makes sense.

Feel free to contact me if you require any further assistance.

Regards
Nick Cui
Design Services Manager ANZ

So, I won't be going with stirrups.  Will get someone who can either treat and re-concrete the posts or weld another piece on with new concrete. 

Thanks everyone for their suggestions.

Jan 
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @JRS 

Thank you so much for sharing that handy piece of information. I'm sure our members who are thinking of the same type of repair will get come clarity regarding the stirrups.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects