Workshop
Ask a question

How to fix timber gate that has fallen off hinge?

tinypotplant
Just Starting Out

How to fix timber gate that has fallen off hinge?

IMG_8216.jpeg

This came off in the rain and I was wondering what would I need to do and purchase to fix this. 

IMG_8217.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Fix Timber Gate That Fallen Off Hinge

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @tinypotplant. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about repairing a gate.

Unfortunately, a hodgepodge of inappropriate fixings has been used to install the timber onto the aerated concrete wall. The fixings used are far too short, which has caused the surface of the concrete to be ripped off. This is likely the reason for failure, though aerated concrete isn't the best for fixing heavy objects like gates. What's on the other side of the gate? Is there anything more secure we could fix to?

This portion of the wall has been significantly compromised, and there is not a lot of unaffected material that we can re-fix into. It would be best to try and move the fixing location slightly so we have fresh material. You can then patch the damaged area. Here's the guide on How to secure to your Hebel walls. I would suggest using at least six fixings, and these Ramset 10 x 100mm Ultra Long RamPlug packs are a convenient option. I'd also countersink the timber to half its depth so the coach screw penetrates further into the wall and Ramplug. Countersinking involves drilling a hole in the face of the timber larger than the head of the coach screw.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects