Workshop
Ask a question

How to remove old tile cement from concrete?

Smithrj
Building a Reputation

How to remove old tile cement from concrete?

Hi, I recently lifted some old ceramic tiles from my front landing using the Ozito Rotary Hammer Drill with the chisel attachment, which worked a treat, but I'm now left with a concrete slab covered in old (original 50 y.o.) tile cement / adhesive. I'm assuming the same tool may be useful to remove it with a wider chisel attachment, but if there's a better way to remove the old adhesive I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Many thanks.

Rod.
IMG20240513160920.jpgIMG20240513160849_BURST001.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to remove old tile cement from concrete?

Hi @Smithrj,

Thank you for your question about removing old tile adhesive.

A chisel attachment for a rotary hammer drill such as this Kango SDS Plus Angled Tiling Chisel would be effective but from experience, puts a lot of unnecessary strain on the body.

Depending on how well the tile adhesive is bonded, a DTA 150mm Heavy Duty Floor Scraper would likely be a better option. As it has a long handle, you would not need to get down on your hands and knees for extended periods of time. 

The combination of this scraper and the chisel bit should get the vast majority of the tile cement off. But if you are still struggling, and the area warrants it, you could look at hiring a Floor Stripper. Just make sure to call ahead to enquire as to the availability at your local Bunnings.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Smithrj
Building a Reputation

Re: How to remove old tile cement from concrete?

Hi Jacob,

Thanks for your reply & advice. I had a look at the heavy duty floor scraper, but the blade looks a bit thin and the stuff I need to rermove strongly resembles ccement, so not sure if it would hold up. I ended up getting an inexpensive set of chisels so I'll try them with the rotary hammer drill & see how they go - it's only about 2 square metres so shouldn't be on my knees for too long!

Regards,

Rod.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects