Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How can I revive my parents lawn?

ivanptr
Making a Splash

How can I revive my parents lawn?

20231114_124125.jpg

20231114_124121.jpg

20231114_124117.jpg

20231114_124115.jpg

The lawn is full of weed and also looks a bit thin and patchy

My plan of "attack" is :

1. Weeding:

is there any weedkiller which targets this species of weed? Otherwise I need to do it by hands

2. Mowing:

Any smaller sized mower you recommend?

3. Aeration

https://www.bunnings.com.au/diy-advice/garden/lawn/how-to-aerate-and-top-dress-your-lawn

Anything I missed? Many thanks for any advice

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How can I revive my parents lawn?

Hello @ivanptr 

I suggest having a look at this discussion - How can I fix this back yard lawn? Need your suggestions please by @ppp. I proposed three options in the post. First is to try a repair and rescue. Second is to remove everything and start from scratch. Third is to put artificial turf. I've recently thought about a fourth option and that is to use pavers and pebbles to give it a totally different look.    

However, if you want to try and rescue the lawn, I suggest aerating the surface with Saxon Lawn Aerator Sandals. Aerating your lawn is important allowing deeper water penetration to improve lawn growth. It also helps to loosen the soil to reduce compaction in high traffic areas.

Once you've aerated the soil, I propose applying Scotts Lawn Builder 15kg All Purpose Slow Release Lawn Fertiliser and then adding top dress to the low and and bare spots of your lawn. Your goal at this point is to get your lawn back into shape, there will still be occasional growth of weeds, but these just need to be manually removed. Once your lawn is back into full health you can then begin using chemicals to treat the weeds if it's still needed. 

I also suggest having a look at this featured project - Lawn renovation by @homeinmelbourne 

Here are some handy step-by-step guides:

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects