Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I repair rotting decking beside my pool?

Terrysim
Just Starting Out

How do I repair rotting decking beside my pool?

My wooden deck is rotting and slats are breaking through where people walk. I want a cheep, easy fix to make it safe and look OK without the expense of replacing all the decking boards. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I (CHEAPLY) repair rotting decking beside my pool

Hello @Terrysim 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about repairing your deck panels.

One form of short-term repair is to inspect each decking panel and find out which have been compromised. I suggest using a screwdriver and poking the surface of the decking panels and see which ones need replacing. Once you've identified which panels need replacing, I suggest using 90 x 22mm Decking H3 Treated Pine - 2.4m or similar.

Your goal is to replace only the very critically compromised panels and those panels that are still in good condition can stay. In order to give your deck a nice fresh look I suggest giving it a fresh coat of paint. Please note that this is a temporary fix and eventually the other decking panels will eventually fail and need replacing.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I repair rotting decking beside my pool?

Hi @Terrysim,

I hope you found my colleague @EricL reply helpful.

I just wanted to check on the height of the deck and whether it is elevated above ground. Any compromised decking boards on a raised deck pose a huge safety risk and should be attended to appropriately, including replacing the compromised boards. If this is an elevated deck, I propose isolating the area so no one can walk on the boards until you have resolved the issue. I'd also recommend having a professional assess the structure of the deck as often, by the time decking boards break, the deck's substructure is also decayed.

If this is a low-level deck, there is less concern, and I'd suggest you check out this helpful guide: How to renovate a timber deck. Replacing decking boards can be relatively budget-friendly, depending on the number that needs to be replaced. You might like to look at options like treated Pine decking if cost is of concern.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects