Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do you clean your windows?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

How do you clean your windows?

Sponge.jpg

We have an empty block next to our house at the moment and it's blowing a lot of dust everywhere. This weekend it's time to clean the windows. It's never a fun job!

People have many different methods of cleaning windows, using various tools and cleaning products to achieve a spotless result.  

How do you clean your windows? Let us know by replying below.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Isobel
Amassing an Audience

Re: How do you clean your windows?

A quick wipe with a dry microfibre cloth should get rid of those streaks. 

Wendy62
Just Starting Out

When my windows are really dusty outside, I hose them down first. Then use morning fresh in a bucket applied with a window washer and squeegee then if streaky about 1/4 cup white vinegar in warm water and my new best buddy for mirrors too is a bamboo cloth.
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Great tip @Wendy62. Many thanks for joining in the discussion and sharing your experience.

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the Workshop community. We're looking forward to reading about your projects and plans. Feel free to post whenever you need assistance. We have many helpful members who are constantly sharing advice and inspiration. 

Thanks again,

Jason

Matt5
Finding My Feet

I've been cleaning windows for years, the best method for outside windows domestic is to buy a good 'streak free' window clean concentrate from bunnings 

pour the required amount into some water in a bucket ( rectangle bucket is best) then after a light hosing of the windows,(one at a  time) use a soft broom and/or brush to wash window down including surrounding timberwork..then Rince off with hose.

can do unto 10 standard size windows in one hour and I found its still the quickest and best method.  

Internally totally different method required.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Many thanks for sharing your experience @Matt5, I'm sure members will appreciate the advice. Looking forward to seeing more of your posts soon.

Welcome to Workshop. We have loads of helpful, clever and creative members sharing information, advice and inspiration on the site every day, so we're really pleased to have you join us. 

Jason

jennik5
Finding My Feet

Thankyou for the tip Aly i have been struggling on to find a environment friendly way to clean my windows.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @jennik5. It's fabulous to have you join us and many thanks for jumping into the conversation.

Let me mention @aly so they are alerted to your kind feedback on their suggestion. Using newspaper to wipe away the mixture is a great way to get a streak-free finish. You might like to also check out Simple Green 750ml Glass Cleaner which is a non-toxic, biodegradable and a safer alternative to toxic cleaners & bleaches

You should find this step-by-step guide helpful: How To Clean Windows.

We look forward to hearing about the projects around your house and garden and we'd encourage you to let us know if you ever need assistance with them or have something you would like to share. I trust you'll find loads of inspiration within the community as our creative members are contributing their own projects here every day.

Mitchell

I used to be a detailer at a caryard -  I got told when I started there not to use newspapers as they are now printed using latex based ink which can melt/smear depending on what other chemicals you use or if you rub too hard (its not the same ink your grandparents found out worked as a light abrasive on glass) We mainly just used a metho/water mix 50/50 there for general glass using cotton rags from the local vinnies/salvos which usually sell them by the huge bagful for cheap if u ask (tshirts they cant sell generally - we cut them into sizes we could use) 

If i got kind of lazy - i would just hand wax the windows at the same time as the rest of the car (turtle wax or similar) wait for it to dry crusty white - then wipe off as normal gets a nice shiney finish as well! hahahha

Prof
Becoming a Leader

Here's a quick and simple way to clean outside window glass..

Buy one of those small washer / sprayers that has a bottle underneath and attaches to the garden hose..

1. Spray glass with the high pressure water jet..

2. Mix a dishwasher detergent tablet in two cups of water..

3. Spray windows with detergent mix on a wide water fan setting and leave for 5 minutes..

4. Wash of detergent with high pressure water..

Result..Clean..streak free glass..

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Love all these tips. Thanks for keeping the discussion going @Prawns and @Prof.

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects