Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to attach polycarbonate shelter to side of house?

jaynkay
Just Starting Out

How to attach polycarbonate shelter to side of house?

Hi, Complete novice here so please bear with me. As per the photo we want to cover in this area with polycarbonate. Since the photo was taken the fence has been extended in height to 2metres and guttering/downpipe attached.

We were thinking of using back channel on the fascia under the gutter. What do I need for the side pieces  and how do I make them fit with the back channel? The fall is 26 degrees and the sheets will be 1400 long. 

Cat netting will be used for the rest of the side of the house from the fascia to the fence and will need to be attached  to the nearside of the polycarbonate. 

Would the  back channel work with such a fall, or is there some other way to do this that I am not thinking of?

I need to see to understand, so pictures would be really welcome.

Thank you for your time.

1b4f4dac-24f1-47d4-bbc6-e1c42c778f6b.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to attach polycarbonate shelter to side of house?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @jaynkay. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about installing polycarbonate.

Here's the installation guide for Suntuf polycarbonate. There are plenty of images that will assist in understanding how the sheeting needs to be installed. You'll need to build a timber frame to span the distance, as the sheeting alone can not support itself. 

You can use back channel on the house side or barge capping. Please be advised that the fascia board and the fence are not structural members designed to be used as mounting points for roofing. You'll need to fix through the fascia into the wall behind and ensure the fence is well-supported. With either back channel or barge capping, you should be able to achieve your desired angle of sheeting.

Have a read through the installation guide above, and let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects