Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a deck with Specrite Merbau?

piscest
Just Starting Out

How to build a deck with Specrite Merbau?

I'm about to embark on a large deck building project and hoping that you can answer a question about the pre oiled specrite merbau product. It says pre oiled but in the past I have always been told to season merbau for around 6 weeks once laid using water , sun etc to release the tannins.

Does specrite weather season their merbau before oiling ?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build a deck with secrite merbau

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @piscest. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about Specrite decking.

Specrite Merbau decking is ready to be laid. It comes pre-oiled, which provides a coating of oil on the underside of the board, as once laid, it can't be accessed. Once laid, you'd follow the same procedures for seasoning as a non-preoiled board. So, in answer to your question, there has been no weathering process to release tannins on the boards. You can either go the natural route of letting it weather for several weeks in the elements or flush it with water twice a day for a week. Alternatively, you can use a product like Cabot's New Timber Prep to accelerate the process.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects