Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a large cubby house?

amaria
Just Starting Out

How to build a large cubby house?

Hello..

i’ve been searching for a cubby house with decent size internal space for a while but new ones cost thousands…

I came across several on FB marketplace in good condition used however when I contacted several handymen to request them to disassemble, transport, re-assemble, they said it could be too complicated so I couldn’t find anyone :unhappy:

we just bought a house in Miranda 2228 and finally have some room for a cubby house I don’t know how I can make this happen..

I thought about building one although I don’t have a Ute to transport wood..

Or I could buy 2 from Bunnings to setup together to make it bigger internally?

Or maybe someone who could help me out to make this happen for my 4+7yo?

can anyone kindly offer any tips or advice? Would be very much appreciated 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Cubby house solution

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @amaria. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about creating a cubbyhouse.

Have you considered potentially picking up a budget-friendly cubby house and then also a swing/slide set? I'm sure your four-year-old would be thrilled with a Swing Slide Climb 1.5 x 1.8 x 1.8m Canadian Pine Colonial Cubby House, but your seven-year-old might be at the age where a swing set would be more appealing. Something like the Plum Gibbon Wooden Swing Set could be a good option. Alternatively, I'm liking the look of the Plum® Lookout Tower Play Centre With Swing Arm. A set like this opens up quite a few possibilities when it comes to extending it or butting a cubby house up against it.

Purchasing two cubby houses and connecting them to form one larger unit is an option; I just feel that your seven-year-old might, in the next couple of years, become less interested in a cubby house and more interested in testing their physical capabilities on a play set.

If you were inclined to build one yourself (just be mindful that the cost of the timber could exceed the cost of a pre-built unit), our affordable delivery service would certainly be the best option for getting that timber home. Here's some inspiration: Clever cubby house designs. If you're prepared to disassemble free pallets, the cubby house I created for my daughter only cost me the screws. I'll include an image below of it. Here's the step-by-step guide: How to build a pallet cubby.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects