Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build retaining wall on fence?

S_Mack
Just Starting Out

How to build retaining wall on fence?

Hi I have a boundary fence that separates me and my neighbour. The neighbours soil keeps coming under the fence due to there land being 50-150mm higher. I am planning to build a retaining wall on the fence and would like some ideas. Cheers

Re: How to build retaining wall on fence?

Thanks for the response Eric and Dave.

1. Im trying to raise it by approx. 400mm. Filling just a little lower than the second sleeper.

2. Just a budget soil which is non expansive.

3. I do know where the drain pipes are and i was intending to grade the top level towards the drain inlet.

4. The back end of that sleeper is just air. I have attached a photo to better explain. Basically our lot is higher that the property at the back. There is a post and panel wall and we have added two sleeper on top before the fence is installed.

do i still need the agi pipe given that the existing concrete retaining wall already have some sort of drainage?

IMG_2575.jpeg

Afternoon @archiemorehate 

For 400mm I would probably err on the side of yeah make sure you have drainage. Soil behaves differently when its waterlogged and having the drainage put in as you are doing it will solve potential future problems.

Dave

Hi @archiemorehate 

I agree with @Dave-1's recommendation. It's better to be safe in this situation and have a drain on your side as well. This will keep the sleeper from getting waterlogged on your side. Which in turn will keep the soil stable and prevent the sleeper from moving.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Dave. Will make sure this has been accounted for. 

Hi @archiemorehate 

I would paint the timber with bitumum  paint so it lasts a lot  longer than 20 years for  normal logs in contact with soil and water for one. a  good  3 coats. probably get 40  years.

I am going to say I dont think drainage is a  problem  where  does the water output go any way except down and out into neibours yard ie the nateral  water flow from your block.

But  ideally you can add a AGi  line back to storm water line on your  house or down hill to  your neibours storm water as your protecting  them they  would be smart to agree.

Ag pipe  line  against the fence line it wrapped with weed  cloth making a stone column/ water path above it and add stones and lawn  dirt at same time saves more work :smile:  on a  redig.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects