Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to clean outdoor floor tiles?

Sheeba
Growing in Experience

How to clean outdoor floor tiles?

IMG_4235.jpeg

IMG_4237.jpeg

this is how our alfresco tile looks after hours of rigorous brushing, pressure cleaning, sugar soap solution, off the shelf tile cleaning products 

please help, what else can be done to get this cleaned? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how to clean outdoor floor tiles

Hi @Sheeba,

Perhaps you might be able to point out what the issue is. From your images, your tiles look perfectly clean, but perhaps the camera isn't highlighting the problem very well. In the first image, I see various marks which I've highlighted, but you don't appear to have those in frame, so suspect that's not what you are enquiring about.

I'm keen to hear more about the issue as I can't detect much in your images that cleaning would solve. Silly question, but are you aware these are natural stone tiles, and the patterning you see is how they are meant to look? I presume so but just wanted to check in case you thought these were extremely stained and discoloured tiles that should be all one colour.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Sheeba
Growing in Experience

Thank you again! the issue was grout haze compunded with layers of stubborn dirt. These are outdoor porcelain tiles, in matt finish, surface is uneven, mop doesn't work,  I tried 50:50 Vinegar and water solution, geneoursly wiped each tile and then brushed, looking much better but still bit dull, appreciate suggestion for any products that may help.

Here's how it should look - https://www.tfo.com.au/product/breccia-dark-grey-terrazzo-look-rectified-matt-porcelain-tile-3687/

PS: sorry for reponding so late, forgot to hit Post button, was wondering why my replies werent showing, Duh!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

It appears you have an unglazed porcelain tile, and these might need to be sealed to prevent dirt and grime from penetrating their surface @Sheeba. Do a little test to determine whether sealing is needed. Add a few drops of water to the tile in a non-sunny location. Wait 30 minutes and see whether the water gets absorbed into the tile or if it continues to sit on top of it as a bead. If the water gets absorbed into the tile, it's a good indication that a penetrative sealer needs to be used on them. If the tiles are porous, I'd recommend doing a test section with Crommelins Diamond Coat Slate and stone sealer. After the product has dried, if there is no discolouration and the sealer is well-adhered, I'd suggest coating the entire area. Make sure to follow the directions on the product for application.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects