Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What adhesive for stone-clad easy lap cement sheet?

mattdevo
Just Starting Out

What adhesive for stone-clad easy lap cement sheet?

Gday, wanting to vaneer this easy lap wall with stone. Wondering best adhesive and any advise that will help!  Matt 

received_176917308800468.jpeg

received_2061711380831603.jpeg

received_845182840646955.jpeg

  

20231006_085218.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What adhesive for stone-clad easy lap cement sheet?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @mattdevo. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about cladding fibre-cement sheeting.

Could you please share a little more detail about your project? Do you plan on covering all the sheets with the stonework that is butted closely together? Will you be filling in between the stonework with grout? What sort and number of fixings did you use per sheet, and what are the sheets attached to?

The James Hardie EasyLap panel can be used as a tiling substrate but it does have a maximum tile weight of 32kg/m2. The stonework you have there is very thick, and typically, stones used for cladding a wall would be a fraction of that thickness at around 10mm to reduce their overall weight. These look to be more like something you'd use to create a stonework paved area on the ground. I would imagine that using that stonework butted closely together to cover the whole panel would far exceed the maximum capacity.

I've emailed you through the James Hardie Easylap tile application guide. This will provide all the technical details for your project. Points to note are that the sheeting needs to be waterproofed and a suitable tile adhesive used that is warranted for this type of application. A suitable waterproofing membrane would be Davco K10 and a compatible adhesive would be Davco 20kg SMP Evo.

I do want to stress that the maximum capacities of the board must be adhered to. If you surpass this restriction it could cause catastrophic failure of the boards and if someone was in the vicinity, that amount of weight could cause life-threatening injuries.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects