Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to close gaps in paling fence?

AZ80
Finding My Feet

How to close gaps in paling fence?

Hi, we have a neighbourhood friendly fence with gaps in between the palings. We would like to add extra palings on our side to cover the gaps for maximum privacy. Since they will be overlapping the existing palings, should we use longer nails and nail them to the rail or can we just nail them to the palings? What length and type of nails should we use, and is there a power tool for the job?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

419E4169-F263-4E06-9AFC-964D141A84D0.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to close gaps in paling fence?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @AZ80. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about adding pailing to a fence.

When overlapping pailings, you typically place two nails in the centre between the back pailings. You'll need to nail through the pailings and into the rails.

We have framing nail guns for hire, and these would make the job much faster. The length of the nail should be around the thickness of your rail. So if you have 50mm thick rails, I'd suggest a 50mm nail. 

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Many thanks for your advice and I will be ordering from Bunnings and start with this project soon.

Thank you.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Keep us updated @AZ80, and reach out if you have further questions or get stuck.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects