Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to create concrete steps for above-ground pool?

TekBoffin
Growing in Experience

How to create concrete steps for above-ground pool?

We have (had) an oval above ground pool, with internal swim-out steps that were made out of large styrofoam blocks and sat under the liner.

Our yard was flooded in February and water came up under the outside of the pool coping. This resulted in the foam blocks floating and destroying the pool. 

I have completely dismantled the pool and purchased new wall, liner, posts, etc. that were damaged. 

I plan to replace the swim-out steps with concrete, so they won't float if we ever have as much water in our yard again.

I'm comfortable with basic concreting and have done a number of small to medium slabs. But I am not sure about how to go about forming up an object of this size and shape.

The foam steps have coreflute sheets on top, then an EVA foam blanket over the top and it all fits in under a liner which is fitted to the size and shape of the steps.

The supplier of the pool said concrete steps was the old-school way but hasn't been able to produce any real advice. 

The wall is not strong enough to be the formwork for the curved back. I am not sure how or what to use to form up the curved rear of the steps. Maybe I could use several shorter flat pieces to make like a hexagonal curved rear.

I could just use 17mm form-ply for the flat front faces, but another thought was cement sheet, possibly the thick stuff they use for bathroom floors. Another idea was to use besser blocks for the front face. 

So, I'm a bit lost in all this, with lots of thoughts, but no real idea.

I have included some pictures of how the foam block steps go together and the final look.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Greg

foam steps.png

foam steps with loose foam blanket.PNG

foam steps with fitted foam blanket.PNGCompleted swim-out steps.png

Greg Miller
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to create concrete steps for above-ground pool?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @TekBoffin. It's great to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about creating pool steps.

Do you think you could use the rear wall as the formwork if it was adequately propped up from the outside and you poured the steps in several batches instead of all at one time? 

Could you partially use the foam block as the rear formwork? Or, I wonder how much weight would be required to counteract the foam's buoyancy? Could you cut the centre out of it and fill that with concrete?

Let me mention one of our knowledgeable members, @TedBear, to see if he has any thoughts.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @TekBoffin , I just read @MitchellMc ' s suggesting of filling the foam steps that are designed for the job and I think that's a brilliant suggestion. The foam step system has all the right characteristics, except for not being heavy enough for a flood situation. Filling them with concrete would add that characteristic which you now want. 

I'd imagine that you would cut a hole through the bottom and scoop out a cone shaped hollow so that the set concrete will stay in when it's turned over and the top will still have some give, which protects the liner from damage when you use the steps.

mattjbuilding
Finding My Feet

Hi @TekBoffin  how did you go with this? - I am a pool builder i have used this foam step system but there are warnings about negative water pressure!!.  did the concrete work inside the styrofoam?

cheers

mattjbuilding

Hi @mattjbuilding

I'm not there yet. We got the wall up last weekend and the first two big foam blocks in place (which form the bottom step). We've been kept at bay since then by the wet weather.

The next step is to cut some sections of the foam blocks away so we can fill them with concrete. I've been using the wet weather to contemplate the best way to cut out the middle of the foam. I want to scoop it out to form sort of a tub in each block. We did some maths/science stuff and we are pretty sure if we replace about half the foam with concrete, then it should not float at all. I've also got to work out what steel reo would be required. A friend suggested we drive some big pegs or similar through the bottom of the foam into the ground to tie it in place as well. I think it also makes sense to tie the top step into the bottom step with some sort of reo.

As far as actually cutting the foam, I'm thinking a hot knife would be a reasonable option, but I don't have one and it would need to be fairly long because I will be cutting about 500mm deep into the bottom blocks. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm thinking of heating an old carving knife or similar with my butane weed burner and seeing if that works. I'm sure nothing could go wrong with that brilliant plan! Of course I can fall back to using a hand saw of some sort, but the hot knife option will be far less messy and leave a much better surface on the cuts.

Another thought that just popped into my head, is to heat up an old flat garden spade in my wood-fired pizza oven and use that to cut away the foam...the possibilities are endless!

I'm open to suggestions on all aspects above, and will post updates with what I try and the outcomes once more progress is made.

Cheers,

Greg

Greg Miller

Petrol i think melts the styrofoam??? Pour a little at time have rags and water at hand to restrict?    What have you done for  below ground water pressure?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @mattjbuilding. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for jumping into the conversation.

It's great to see that @TekBoffin has updated us on their project.

Whilst I have you here, you might have something to add to this discussion on Any ideas on coating pool's internal wall and floor?

It's great to have someone as knowledgeable as yourself join the community. I'm sure you'll get plenty of pool-related questions from our members.

Please reach out anytime you need assistance with a project around the home or garden or have something to share with the community.

Mitchell

A reciprocating saw and long blade should make short work of the foam @TekBoffin. You won't be able to cut the full depth in one pass as the blade is only 300mm long, but it will remove material quickly.

Mitchell

Great ideas there from @mattjbuilding and @MitchellMc  for making hollows in the foam. The petrol idea sounds quickest - if it is controllable.

I would have just tried using a Multi-tool fitted with a cut and saw blade, but I haven't actually done that on foam. 

https://www.bunnings.com.au/powerfit-113mm-cut-and-saw-blade_p6320753?referrer=RetailApp&utm_source=...

TekBoffin
Growing in Experience

So, I got there in the end. I tried heating up a flat spade in my wood fired pizza oven. It cut in nicely but cooled way too quickly, meaning running back a forth to the oven and letting it reheat. I tried an old hand saw: hard work but somewhat effective. I have an old *WW2?) machette. I sharpened it up and it worked ok too (and I only nicked myself a couple of times). In the end I used my chainsaw: worked a treat but made a hell of a mess. I cut vertically down into the foam blocks. The length of the bar was almost deep enough. Then I broke all the pieces away and tidied up with the handsaw and machette. I'm not sure if there is an easy way to do this, but I got there in the end and just pray that I never have to do it again! 

I have put some photos below to show the progress. Hopefully if/when next time it floods, my pool steps won't float up and wreck this pool.

IMG_2491.JPEGIMG_2493.JPEGIMG_2498.JPEGIMG_2499.JPEGIMG_2500.JPEGIMG_2546.JPEGIMG_2547.JPEGIMG_2548.JPEGIMG_2549.JPEGIMG_2567.JPEGIMG_2680.JPEG

Greg Miller

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects