Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to ensure ldpe connections don’t leak?

Princeypr
Getting Established

How to ensure ldpe connections don’t leak?

I’m using ldpe poly pipe for distribution of water in gravity feed systems as I have done over many decades without issues previously on town water with a lot more pressure. In the gravity systems I’m constantly battling lots of small leaks on most of the barbed fittings I’ve been buying. Wondering if there’s any others that might be having similar problems? Alternatively any ideas on how to overcome this would be appreciated.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to ensure ldpe connections don’t leak

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Princeypr. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about poly pipe connections.

Under pressure, the barbed connectors actually seal better, as the clamp is forced against the back of the barb when the pipe expands, which helps it seal. Without pressure, this effect doesn't exist, and you'll see leaks. If you currently use the standard poly ratchet clamps, you might like to swap them for hose clamps. Hose clamps will typically allow you to create a better seal as more force is applied through the screwed fitting. Alternatively, before you do swap them out, try using a pair of pliers to get one more click out of the poly ratchet clamps. Sometimes, it's a bit hard to do them up fully by hand and one more click might be enough to seal the leak.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks MitchellMc. I’ll give the hose clamps a try on the persistent leaks and see if I can get a result. Is there a better pipe to use for gravity feed reticulation than the ldpe? I already use pliers to nip up the plastic clamps and they often break if I apply too much force. Main reason for using the ldpe is the lower cost. When you need to move water several hundred meters the cost really starts to bite you. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Princeypr 

I can understand your choice in using LDPE for moving water as it is an affordable medium. But have you considered investing in a more robust system where leaks and breaks are brought to a minimum level? I propose looking at using Vinidex 16mm x 50m Metric Polyethylene Pipe

This is a much thicker pipe made for use in domestic situations and uses Philmac Polypipe Fittings. They are incredibly strong and can take a lot of abuse. Changing your system does not have to an overnight event, I recommend doing it in sections as your budget allows. 

In time your entire system would be upgraded to something that would last a long time and would do away with constant maintenance. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Princeypr
Getting Established

Re: How to ensure ldpe connections don’t leak?

I did find after speaking with the supplier of my ldpe piping that they recommended the use of “Cobra clamps” with the pipe and barbed fittings. This seems to have worked out very well and given a vast improvement compared to the plastic ratchet clamps. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects