Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix deck starting to curl due to water?

Nakkas
Finding My Feet

How to fix deck starting to curl due to water?

My 8 year old decking is starting to curl due to water from rain. How do we stop this? Is there a water resistant decking I should have used? The deck get recoated every 2 years..

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix deck starting to curl due to water?

Hello @Nakkas 

My apologies for the late reply. A lot of what @CSParnell has mentioned are the major reasons for the timber deck to curl. An interim solution for your deck would be to remove any panels that are hindering the air from passing through the bottom of the deck. Getting good airflow going would stop the moisture from forming underneath the deck. The trapped moisture and air act like a sauna saturating the timber underneath.

Use a garden rake to break up the surface of the soil underneath the deck. This should encourage water flow and prevent stagnant water from forming underneath your deck. The best solution is to remove your decking panels and prepare the soil underneath the deck. Break up the soil underneath and try and place a slope that drains the water away from the bottom of the deck. Line the bottom with weed mat or geo fabric and then place draining gravel on top to encourage water drainage. Make sure to give your deck room to breathe by not closing off the sides of the deck.

In regards to the actual decking panels, the solution offered by @Noyade is the most practical one, use a longer screw if possible. You can also remove the panels to the left and right of the curling panel and screw them down from the sides at a 45-degree angle. I also suggest finding some timber filler of the same colour and filling in the old screw holes to prevent water from soaking inside.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects