Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix driveway drainage ditch dilemma?

Steve5
Having an Impact

How to fix driveway drainage ditch dilemma?

Hi,  Looking for ideas for a drainage ditch edge that has been worn down by heavy trucks  so we end up slipping into the ditch when we stop the car to open the gate.  I don't want to put in a pipe that snakes and rats can hide in so thinking about putting a couple of sleepers across where the car door is similar to the one by the gate.  Heavy truck projects completed so now only occasional medium size trucks.   Any other ideas greatly appreciated.  Thanks  

Ditch.pngAAA driveway small 2.jpg 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Driveway Drainage Ditch Dilemma

How much water volume uses this ditch, @Steve5? If it was a relatively small amount, you could fill the entire ditch or part of it with drainage gravel, and the water will find its way through it. However, I like the idea of creating a bridge/platform for the area next to the gate and see no reason why that wouldn't work. It's likely going to be one of the quickest and easiest solutions. I'd recommend you make it at least four sleepers wide so there's a decent amount of space to stand on.

Let me mention a couple of our knowledgeable members, @TedBear and @Dave-1, to see if they have any thoughts.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

I like @MitchellMc  's suggestion of filling it with stones, but to ensure the water flows through ok, I'd bury a slotted drainage pipe in it too. That way rats, etc can't get in but water can and will seep in and out. Excess quantities of water will run through the stones.

Too much rain for drainage gravel, good idea 4 sleepers.  thanks

too much water but slotted drainage good idea

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How to fix driveway drainage ditch dilemma?

Good Morning @Steve5 

Love playing with drainage for some reason :smile: Think it has something to do with molding the water to go where I want it to. 

Looking at your driveway it seems to be fairly compacted and not likely to sink anymore. How about this for an idea...

In the drain area  make a level slope (Yeah a tiny fall on it type deal) Using Concrete paving slab. This is to keep the level of your drain flat.

Then use something like Garden edging either side with a flat paver between the outer pieces. So a large flat U you will end up with. Then another flat Concrete paver over the top. This could stay permantly or be able to be pulled up when you put a permant fix in.

You could try it in combination with @MitchellMc's idea for the top. I do like @TedBear's idea also but understand about quantities of water.

I have built the culvert type deal for my garden path and didnt have to worry about lateral forces. I will try and post the project later just to show.

Dave

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @Steve5 

Just posted my culvert project. Thought Id link it here in case it helps you with your issue :smile:

The culvert has stood up to rain ect for a year, no dirt has fallen away and the edges are due for replanting (theyuhad the white and purple snow plants (cant think of their name) and they just need to be refreshed.

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Steve5 

Just in case you're wondering about that link, I've reposted it here - Culvert for stormwater by @Dave-1. It is a very handy method of giving water a channel to run through and a step that allows you to walk over it.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Steve5
Having an Impact

Thanks, very creative

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects