Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix slippery concrete?

rjmorton
Just Starting Out

How to fix slippery concrete?

I am a disability pensioner with very bad osteoporosis and I have a LOT of concrete around my house that goes green and is slippery after it rains. what can I put on it so it looks better and does not make the surface slippery and dangerous for me 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix slippery concrete

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @rjmorton. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about preventing slips on concrete.

That sounds like a bit of a dangerous situation, and I trust our members will all be keen to advise on solutions. There are a few options that you might like to consider. The first would be to apply something that kills algae and moss, like 30 Seconds 2L Spray And Walk Away With Rapid Hose End. It comes in an easy to use hose-on bottle. Just click it onto your hose and spray away. Since you'll want to be doing this process every few months to keep the algae at bay, you might like to invest in the 30 Seconds 5L Spray And Walk Away Concentrate and a pump sprayer. By applying this product at regular intervals, the algae won't have the ability to build up and form a layer that causes slips.

Another alternative would be to coat the concrete in non-slip paint and include an anti-slip additive in the mix. Concrete is very porous, and its texture allows algae to build up and take hold in its surface. By coating the concrete, you're sealing up these areas, so it's harder for the algae to embed itself and easier to clean.

Depending on the severity of the issue, you might like to consider having some handrails installed at strategic locations. Having something to hold onto could be the difference between falling and not.

There's a great range of anti-slip tapes suitable for exterior use. Once again, it doesn't need to be used everywhere, just at locations where a slip might occur. Slopes, corners, uneven areas and stairs are prime candidates. I used this tape on the tread of some concrete steps that often had algae build up as they were always in the shade. There's also the Croc Grip Spray On Clear Anti-Slip Coating, which can be used.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank  you so very very much for your advice. It's a great help, however being a senior disability pensioner who never married or had children I am a female living on my own on the disability pension of $470 a week which is pathetic as that has to cover everything. Including insurance, car, contents, electricity, water, medical bills and it goes on. I am finding it hard to put food on the table. I went to highpages for the kitchen to be painted and got ripped off badly. So I have absolutely no idea who to get to do this job and where I would find them. Even the previous lawn mover man ripped me off and did a lousily job of my lawns I cannot push a mower or lift a whipper snipper. But thank you so very very much for your advice. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I'm sorry to hear that, @rjmorton.

Have you looked into what services the QLD government could provide you as a senior disability pensioner? My grandmother was a war widow, but I remember she had a set of stairs turned into a ramp and grab rails installed all around her home for free or at a heavily subsidized rate. This was in NSW, though. I've had a look for you, and Home Assist Secure in QLD sounds promising. It appears that "If eligible you may receive a financial contribution towards labour costs for minor home maintenance or modifications relating to your health, safety or security which are required so you can remain in your home." I would presume grab rails and non-slip paint are essential for your safety and would be something they would consider assisting with. They will also look at helping you with "yard and outside maintenance." and "employing tradespeople to do repairs or modifications.", so perhaps they have some links to more trustworthy tradespeople.

I'd also encourage you to head into your local Bunnings store when you can and get to know our team. You'll find they are exceptionally helpful and very passionate about taking care of our local communities, especially those in need. I can't count the number of times I've been out to my customer's homes on my own and Bunnings time purely to help them out.

I hope that the link I've provided is of some assistance to you, and remember, we're here to help.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects