Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix uneven concrete verandah?

Gofinn
Getting Established

How to fix uneven concrete verandah?

20231020_180750.jpg

Normally it will only collect a small amount when raining heavily or when washed down.

Since I re-sealed expansion joins it has become a pool.    

How best to even concrete floor.

Not sure if self leveling cement will be long lasting.

Some solutions that come to mind.

Drill a hole in expansion gap or in the center of pooling (under floor is void)

Leave it alone and squeegee the water over the side.

P.S. I plan to paint the floor once sorted.

Any ideas are welcome.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Verandah uneven concrete floor, how to fix

Hi @Gofinn 

Thanks for sharing your question about your veranda. The cost-effective solution would be to drill drain holes along the expansion joint. You can clearly see the pooling pattern of the water and how it will drain out once you provide a drain point. As long as the water going out will not damage anything underneath it's an option worth considering.

Using self-levelling cement is another option, but it will not look very nice on top of your veranda, especially if you are just using it as a patch. The best way to do it is to resurface the concrete and put in a slope so that any rain that falls on the veranda will flow off to the side. 

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1, @TedBear and @homeinmelbourne for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: Verandah uneven concrete floor, how to fix

Good Evening @Gofinn 

I like the idea of drilling a hole in the low points but worry about long term look underneath or damage?

Am I right in thinking that you have two low points in the patio? I thought of self leveling concrete but as @EricL suggests it may not look that great when finished. 

How does the floor feel when you walk on it? As in a slope? If its just the water puddling I would be tempted to put in a couple of holes. 

Is the floor /roof below level? I am thinking of a chanel to divert the water from the proposed holes away to the edge of the house. If the "roof is level it may be hard to get the water to run into the chanel or maybe a tube can be inserted? Otherwise you could be trading one problem for another.

Will think about it :smile:

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects