Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to get started on building a new deck over concrete?

samdhoj1
Just Starting Out

How to get started on building a new deck over concrete?

Hi Guys,

Need your expertise and guidance on selecting material and tools needed to build a new deck on a concrete floor. 

Have watched tons of videos and read a lot of articles on how to build a deck. 

Still confused on material and tools.

So your help and guidance will be much appreciated. 

Looking a doing a Merabu decking.

Thanks 

Outdoor alfresco.jpg

Screenshot_20210908-104255_Gallery.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to get started on building a new deck over concrete?

Hi @Samdhoj,

You might only be able to use the upper holes for connecting your joist, which is fine.

I'd suggest using Ramset 10 x 75mm DynaBolt Plus Hex Nut Bolt to attach the brackets to the concrete.

Zenith M10 x 40mm Tech-Shield Coach Screws would be suitable for attaching the brackets to the joist.

The Zenith 14G x 85mm Galvanised Type 17 Batten Bugle Head Timber Screws would join the joists to the frame and not attach the decking to the joists.

Decking screws will be used to fix the decking to the joists. Those gauge numbers represent the thickness of the shank of the screw. The thicker the shank, the stronger the screw and the more holding force it has. My recommendation would be the Zenith 12G x 50mm Stainless Steel Self Drilling Decking Screws. Not only does the stainless steel look fantastic, but the self-drilling feature means you don't have to pre-drill and countersink every single hole. 

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects