Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to lay tiles and add drainage to balcony decking?

chimtan
Just Starting Out

How to lay tiles and add drainage to balcony decking?

Hi ,I have a wooden open air deck  balcony,  I would like to lay tiles and make a drainage for it , to prevent raining water get onto the deck and seep underneath and damage my entry door at the door way. Pls advise 

20231120_142251.jpg

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: balcony decking

Hi @chimtan 

Just  for 1 second  lets think about the issue you wish to address that is water dripping onto your entery way door.

Consider putting a  sheet of  plastic roofing under the balcony  ceiling with a slight angle to redirect any balcony water away to the other end of your balcony away from the door.   Cost  would be  reasonably low and you wont have the tiling and sheeting task to do on the balcony. Simply raise or  lower fixing screws to adjust water flow  direction.  Or use some thing like

Suntuf Mini Orb Clear Corrugated Polycarbonate Sheet 1.8 x 0.66m I/N: 1010612 $34.10

Sunlite 8 1.2 x 0.61m Clear Twinwall Polycarbonate Sheet I/N: 1010852 $29.76

Laying villaboard  water area  sheeting is  easy to do with a  slight angle towards the outer edge.  Then lay tiles on top I would  then put two or three saw plunge cuts between the tiles on the outer balcony edge creating a drain in the far  corner given the original balcony up to code on waterproofing etc.

Can you recommend someone who can do this job ,so I can get a quote, thank you

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @chimtan.

If you're looking to enlist the services of a professional to perform this work, then I'd suggest you consider options like Hipages and Airtasker.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects