Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to paint or oil outdoor Merbau gate?

judy63
Finding My Feet

How to paint or oil outdoor Merbau gate?

I have merbeau double gates and panels outside and are showing some fading. How do I prepare and choose the correct paint or stain oil to protect.

What are the options for me to do myself.

20230309_152522.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how to prepare and choose a paint for outdoor merbeau gate

Hi @judy63,

Would you be able to show us a closeup of the front side of the boards? If there is no peeling of the existing coating, then you could go straight to timber preparation with Cabot's deck clean and then on with your stain and oil. Everything I see on the back of the gate indicates you are ready to give it a scrub down with the Deck Clean and a stiff bristle broom. There seems to be a fair bit of greyed timber, so I recommend you use a coating similar to Cabot's 4L Merbau Aquadeck Exterior Decking Oil that contains a Merbau-coloured pigment. This will not only protect your timber but refresh the colouring.

Since you have decking on your gate, you'll find this step-by-step guide on How to oil your decking useful. Also, check out this Best Advice article on How do you revive a deck?.

Please don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thankyou so much. Pic of the front no greying 

20230326_165528.jpg

20230326_165528.jpg

  

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Looks good, @judy63. I'd still recommend a quick scrub down with the Deck Clean for the best results.

Keep us updated, as we'll be keen to see your finished results.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects