Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to power a cricket bowling machine 500W through 12v DC battery

attique
Getting Established

How to power a cricket bowling machine 500W through 12v DC battery

Hi,

I have recently purchased a cricket bowling machine which has a 500W, 220V motor. There is no mains power connection where i want to operate this machine. In this case i will have to use a DC battery and a DC to AC pure sine wave inverter.

I am looking for help in choosing the right kind of inverter and battery. I have got recommendations to go for 1000W pure sine wave inverter and a 12V deep cycle lead acid battery. Can anyone advise on how many amp hrs battery should be required to continuously run the machine for 2hrs and what kind of battery will be good (i have done some online search and found some AGM batteries, are they the same as deep cycle lead acid ones?)

Would really appreciate if someone can recommend a power inverter and battery.WhatsApp Image 2020-11-24 at 4.10.37 PM (1).jpeg

attique
Getting Established

Re: How to power a cricket bowling machine 500W through 12v DC battery

Excellent. Thanks a lot for your help :smile: 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

@attique 

I play (poorly) for the mighty Bulleen Bulls in the Eastern Cricket Association here in Melbourne. 

Looking forward to seeing your bowling machine in action soon.

Great to see you've been getting plenty of help with it.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Hi there @attique,

This sort of thing intrigues me somewhat.

The whole thing runs with some sort of a motor, meaning that it won't be a constant mechanical load and therefore won't have a constant current draw either, which will affect the supply from the inverter and the current supplied by the battery.

To get the motor spinning in the first place, there will be a certain amount of "initial load current", this could be anywhere from 3-5 times the normal run current, all motors have this anomaly to them.

2 hours is a long time to have any motor running, however if you are stopping and starting it, your battery capacity is going to be seriously lessened by the ILC, every time it starts.

Also, how do you plan on charging the battery?

With inverters, don't ever buy a cheap one, I've done lots of work with them over the last 10 or so years and some are not what they say they are.

A lot of the cheaper ones use pulse-width modulation to turn a square wave into a sine wave, poorly, I might add, it will not only (over time) burn out any electronics connected down the line to it, but they are also terrible for causing all sorts of radio/TV interference for 100's of metres around them.

Battery-wise, I would go for two batteries connected together in parallel, rather than one large one, this will extend the life of the pair of them.

Irregardless of what sort of battery you get, please make sure you buy the correct charger, deep cycle batteries need an intelligent charger, not just your usual 12v car battery charger, using something like that will seriously shorten the life of the internal cells.

I hope that this has been of some help, attique, if not, ask away below!

Cheers,

Mike T.

Hi, sorry to jump in so late, but I am currently about to do the same thing with our bowling machine and am chasing advice. How did you end up with your battery and charger?

Cam

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Cam_Spence

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your bowling machine.

Let me tag @attique to make them aware of your question. Sometimes the bowling machines have kits that are sold separately to power them. Did the bowling machine come with a manual indicating the preferred rating of the power source?  

Would it be possible for you to post a photo of it and its electrical tag? This will allow our members to assess the unit. We can then make recommendations on what power source to look for.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects