Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to protect a birch veneer lounge chair?

edith123
Just Starting Out

How to protect a birch veneer lounge chair?

I bought a pair of ikea poang lounge chair, although they are for indoors I want to use them in my balcony which has undercover. It won’t get rained on. The balcony faces north so does get some sun but not harsh.

the frame is made of layer glued wood veneer, oak veneer, satin and clear acrylic lacquer.

B6B8F51F-8ED8-4ACA-8430-AD732AADC23C.png

what products do you recommend me using to protect the frame and make it longer lasting? I’ve looked around but I’m confused which varnish I need to use. I incline to use clear ones so it doesn’t add colour but open to suggestions. The frame is oak colour. I’m worried because this frame bends when you sit on it it affects the type of product I should use.

Please advice any specific preparation I need to follow ie if I need to sand it or something like that

thanks!!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to protect a birch veneer lounge chair?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @edith123. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about protecting a chair.

If it has a lacquer on it already, and it won't get rained on, I'd be inclined to put it outside as is. I, too, would be concerned that any exterior varnish would crack at the flexing points. You'd need to sand the lacquer back to the timber to apply a varnish. Given that you'd need to sand the lacquer back, you might as well put the chair outside and if it does start to deteriorate, sand it back and varnish it then. It might last fine as is outside, or it might deteriorate; either way, it's no more work to try.

The other option, instead of a hard varnish, is to sand the lacquer off and apply an exterior oil. You'd need to sand all the lacquer back to bare timber. The oil won't have issues with cracking when the chair flexes.

You could consider popping chair covers over them when not in use. That would certainly offer a great level of protection.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects