Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to raise height of stormwater drain?

aevans49
Just Starting Out

How to raise height of stormwater drain?

IMG_7605.jpeg

IMG_8225.jpeg

I am looking to raise my stormwater drain by approx 400mm. 
However the existing grate is not one that lifts out but opens up.

if I’m to buy a custom order pit extension how do I remove the existing grate? Angle grinder?

Thank you 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: raising a stormwater drain

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @aevans49. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about removing a stormwater grate.

That really depends on the type of hinge mechanism. If the grate can't be removed, then destructive measures would need to be taken with an angle grinder.

A couple of notes about your project. First, check with your local council to determine if this grate is privately owned stormwater infrastructure and whether there is an easement in place for this section of your property. Here's a guide from Sydney Water on easements. If your local water distributor owns this grate, you must first approach them for approval on any works concerning it. 

I presume you are raising the pit to level your yard. Remember that those sleepers might not be retaining walls but merely plinth boards to cover the gap from the uneven terrain. If so, they are not designed to hold back soil. On the right-hand side of your first image, it appears that soil has been placed up against them. Just check on the neighbour's side to see if posts are installed to create a retaining wall. If there are no posts, then you should not fill the soil up against them. Also, they each appear 200mm high, so you might be able to raise the ground 200mm, but at 400mm, you'd be covering the Colorbond fence as well, and once again, the fence is not designed to hold back soil. 

I just thought I'd point those things out so you don't get too far into your project and are ordered to stop work or, worse still, rectify the easement to the original condition.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects