Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove banana sap stains on granite pavers?

Kjbtjb
Just Starting Out

How to remove banana sap stains on granite pavers?

I have a banana sap stain on granite pavers and would like to know how to safely remove it. Also there are lead pencil marks from the construction phase - I’d like hints on getting rid of these too. Thanks.

Banana tree sap stainBanana tree sap stainLead pencil markingLead pencil marking

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Removing banana sap stain

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Kjbtjb. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about cleaning granite pavers.

For the banana sap stains, I suggest you gently scrape off any excess banana sap with a plastic scraper. Be careful not to scratch the granite surface. Mix up a cleaning solution of warm water with a few drops of mild dish soap. Avoid using acidic or abrasive cleaners as they can damage the granite. Dampen a soft cloth or sponge with the cleaning solution and gently blot the banana sap stain. Do not rub vigorously, as it may cause the stain to spread. Let the cleaning solution sit on the stain for a few minutes to help break down the sap. Rinse the area with clean water to remove the soap residue.

For the eraser, you can try using an eraser to remove light pencil marks. A soft, non-abrasive eraser works best. For more stubborn pencil marks, mix a paste of baking soda and water to create a mild abrasive. Gently rub the paste over the pencil marks with a soft cloth or sponge. Be cautious not to scrub too hard to avoid damaging the granite surface.

Rinse the area thoroughly with clean water to remove any residue from the baking soda paste.

Make sure you test any cleaning method in a small inconspicuous area first to ensure it doesn't damage or discolour the granite. Avoid using harsh chemicals, vinegar, lemon juice, or ammonia-based cleaners on granite, as they can etch the surface.

If the stains persist despite your efforts, you might like to enlist the services of a professional stone cleaner.

Please let me know how you go and if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects